Where's the Chevy P30 fuel pump relay?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, January 10, 2014, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Final road test report, pulling the 4800lb K5 Blazer:

Outstanding!

Even up the steep grades on Route 70 and Route 60, she pulled the Blazer no problem, stayed nice and cool, no vapor lock, and the fuel gauge needle wasn't bobbing like crazy anymore!

Also seems to be getting better gas mileage...probably since I don't have to floor it anymore to make the hills at 45mph.  I only had to open the secondaries a couple of times on some really long grades.

Topic solved, and problem fixed!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

newrvguy

Hi all I have a 1987 fleetwood pace arrow P30 chassis with a 454.  I want to cut a hole in the floor to look at the fuel sending unit and make sure the tank is good before I install new laminate flooring. is the sending unit anywhere on plans as to where it would be located under floor?  I'm not sure if my fuel gauge is reading correctly and am installing custom dash with gauges in it so want to have a look.  any ideas or help???

circleD

If you get under the rig and look on top of the fuel tank, you might be able to see the wire for the sending unit and ohm it out. Check my post on inspecting my fuel cell on p30 chassis. And also use the search box and there's a lot of info on that.

Stripe

Hey New guy, welcome to the forums..
I think if you do a forum search for fuel relay you may find someone has already posted the info you are looking for.  Give it a shot!

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Is there a diagram that identifies exactly where to make a hole in the floor?  No.  You will have to use the OEM diagrams at GM Parts East (http://www.gmpartseast.com/oem-chevy-parts.html) to see what the tank looks like then get under the rig to get a visual picture of where the sender would be located.  Then carefully cut away

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Not sure if our tank is standard, or all P30 tanks are alike...but on ours, the sending unit is dead center of the fuel tank.  So if you measure where your tank is, you should be able to get close with careful measurements transfered to the inside.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Primer switch, fuel pump run on start, oil pressure switch cutoff?  You guys do realize you keep circiling this drain right?

[move][/move]

YetAnotherMike

About five years ago you wrote...   

>then reset the idle power mixture screws according to Edlebrock specs.

I have a 1985 Fleetwood with a P30 454 and a Edelbrock that needs work...   
Where did you inf the specs?

And did you ever find a source of the GM 15528707 relay?  Even a dead one?
BTW, the AC-Delco 212-298 is the same relay.

Mike

ClydesdaleKevin

Holy old thread resurrection...lol!

Everything I learned about the Edlebrock came from the owners manual that came with it and the DVD that came with it.  It has been so long since I tinkered with it I couldn't tell you more about the adjustment procedures.

As far as the AC Delco part number, that is NOT the correct relay.  And the GM relay is unobtainium. 

If you are having issues with the relay, you will need to do what I did and follow the diagram Dave put up to wire in a new generic relay.  It works, it works well, and it only costs about 20 bucks to make the permanent repair.

Kev

beachdaman

Kev, Did you end up rewiring your desert fix to match up with the generic relay, cause in one post you indicated that diagram did not work for you... I have the same itasca you have and dont want to fry my starter.

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep.  By following the diagram in this thread, it worked and worked great!

Kev

beachdaman

Did it today and its working like a charm too, thanks so much to Dave, Barth, and You.

My.winnebago.tribe

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on January 21, 2014, 09:28 AM
That should totally eliminate the vapor lock from now on.  I also backed the timing off a bit and set the idle accordingly, and then reset the idle power mixture screws according to Edlebrock specs.

Should run like a top again!

Kev

The diagram isn't popping up for me. Where can I locate this?
Also to be clear you're saying the 5 prong relays we find in store today won't work for us? Even if it has the numbers 86, 87, 87a, 85 and 30?

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

My.winnebago.tribe

Oz

Fuel pump relay. That's what the topic is about.
I replaced all the images with working ones.

tmsnyder

!-! Looks like the headlamp relay circuit instead of the fuel pump relay.  !-!

My.winnebago.tribe

So confusing because the diagram talks about head lights. There's no fuel pump labeled on the diagram.

Oz

I believe, if you read the text, it says that the switch pin configuration should be "like" that.

Also, scroll down the one Kevin posted.  I don't know anything about electrical stuff myself,  I just tried to fix the photos. Lol!

My.winnebago.tribe

Oz

I sent a message to Kevin, the OP, to help shed some light on this.  Hopefully, he will.

I know I read one of his replies as to what relay he got, and that he did get it fixed. So, something must've gone right!

My.winnebago.tribe

Ive been on this all day!
I'm coming close I believe.
I need a RL 44 relay (4 prong)
I then need the installation socket part number RS40(where the 4 prong relay will plug in to.)
THEN based off of where 86,30,85 and 87 line up with Is where I wire in the wires.
Adding in the inline fuses easy! (He did use 30amp fuses right)
The part that I am stuck at is where he splices the pink wire to go to 86 and the choke.
I'm not sure but I believe he clipped the pink wire And added a splice connect which had two separate wires connected to the other end which one went to the choke and one to 86.
I'm hanging out in a Walmart parking lot until I get this fixed. I'm smack dab in the middle of all the parts stores and Lowe's so I hope he or anyone can chime in!
Been here since yesterday!
I will get my 10 gauge wire from Lowe's.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: My.winnebago.tribe on October 09, 2020, 04:12 PM
Ive been on this all day!
I'm coming close I believe.
I need a RL 44 relay (4 prong)
I then need the installation socket part number RS40(where the 4 prong relay will plug in to.)
THEN based off of where 86,30,85 and 87 line up with Is where I wire in the wires.
Adding in the inline fuses easy! (He did use 30amp fuses right)
The part that I am stuck at is where he splices the pink wire to go to 86 and the choke.
I'm not sure but I believe he clipped the pink wire And added a splice connect which had two separate wires connected to the other end which one went to the choke and one to 86.
I'm hanging out in a Walmart parking lot until I get this fixed. I'm smack dab in the middle of all the parts stores and Lowe's so I hope he or anyone can chime in!
Been here since yesterday!
I will get my 10 gauge wire from Lowe's.

Did you figure this out yet?  It has been a LONG time since I owned that rig (we now have a diesel pusher)...but I did get it working.  And working well for years.  If what you've seen doesn't work for you, keep looking through my old posts about fuel pumps, relays, Barth, etc in the search.  The information IS there.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Keep in mind that when I wired mine up and it actually worked, I totally bypassed the oil pressure/fuel pump switch.  I know it is a safety hazard if you crash, but we needed our RV to work, period.  Hope that helps.  Somewhere here in the archives of my posts are clear instructions, including pictures, of how I actually did it.  I can't help you much from memory alone though, since it was a long long time ago.

Kev