Spark plug access 440-3

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 25, 2008, 11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/14/2003 7:53 PM

OK, I have something on my mind and, believe me, there isn't a lot of room. I was hoping someone would schedule a chat time, dare I say perhaps even regularly when we could talk, share ideas, and ask questions....like how the h*#% do I get at the spark plugs??? You know, Einstein-ian stuff. Apparently Sob and I work graveyard - at least I do steady- so maybe 7-ish one evening or maybe a weekend morning. Just suggesting, I know Rat watches the Power Puff Girls on Saturday mornings. Thank you for your kind consideration.
                                A kinder, gentler tshirtman....     

Sent: 4/14/2003 8:10 PM

Ill tell you how I reach them on the 413 in my 72 D22T. The 440 would be similar, the 318 would be slightly easier. On the passenger side I can reach them from above, with the passenger seat removed, or from below crouching in front of the tire. On the drivers side I first remove the wheel there - with the axle well jacked up - and crawl into the wheel arch space. Then I can reach the 4 plugs, with only 3 different combinations of ratchet extensions and universals. My back only bothers me for a few hours, and my knuckles heal up in a few days. I made up a heat shield of thin aluminum to slide in between the exhaust manifold and the brake lines and wiring harness down there. So I have to slide it out of the way first. I usually also run a spark plug thread cleaning tap in, to ensure the plugs will go in nicely. I will try to post a couple of pictures of the plug regions.
denison 

Sent: 4/14/2003 11:17 PM

Ummm... I take off the doghouse..lean slightly to the right for the right-hand plugs, and slightly to the left for the left-hand plugs. You mean it isn't that easy for >coff-coff< everyone?? {Awwwwww}

Rat

Sent: 4/14/2003 11:33 PM

Well, I had to put my two cents' worth in considering I am the mechanic in the family and to tell you how easy a WOMAN would have it, and we changed spark plugs in my Custom first day we had it. On ours (440-3) the passenger side was a breeze, no problems....just contort yourself in over the wheel (with it turned towards right) and all are easily accessible. Driver's side was also easy, EXCEPT for one closest to the interior of the MH. That one was a ***** and had to have hubby inside with doghouse off and giving a hand with that one. Otherwise it wasn't too bad changing ours. Sorry you guys seem to have so much trouble.....ha ha.

Dani

Sent: 4/15/2003 1:24 AM

Changing mine was even easier.I dropped it off at the shop,it came back tuned and smogged.It was a miracle! I wrote a check,have to admit that did hurt my hand some,my psyche a bit more and the bank acct didnt like it 1 bit.
Lazy BooBoo

Sent: 4/15/2003 2:58 AM

LMAO, too funny. That was good, I liked it.

Dani

Sent: 4/15/2003 12:21 PM

The pictures Ive seen show the 318 being about 2 inches narrower than the 413/440 - which would be enough room for a human hand.  Still gotta be careful you dont slice a wrist on the sharp sheet metal - hard to explain at the emergency room.      denison