1976 Winnebago D21 Brave complete renovation - JAN 2014

Started by rude-a-bego, January 06, 2014, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude-a-bego

Happy New Year All!

Hey Kev, sorry I didn't link up with you.  Christmas, flu, New Years, self induced flu, RV....  you get the picture.

Anyway...
Another busy weekend!  I completed all the water damage repairing, patching and supporting of the roof this weekend.  I am happy to say "it is good".  Hopefully roof coating next weekend; temperature permitting.

I also tore out the carpet and home made dog house from the front.  Wow! 

The home made dog house weighed at least 50lbs!  It was a 2X4 frame with 3/4 plywood inside frame covered with carpet.  As you can see from the pictures, it was taking up a lot of space.
Rudy  ,':{ Ì´

rude-a-bego

Remodeling tip #621:
If you do not know what is under your carpet, you may want to find out!

After removing the carpet, I found the PO had left the rubber backing from the original carpet in place.  Over the years, it became some form of dried crumbly crap that would  turn to dust if you touched it.  Nasty!

rude-a-bego

The controls for the heater and vent did not work very well.  Since I had to get all the crap out, I remove the heater.  Lots of air hoses first, then the controls wires and finally the water hoses.  I looped the water hose back to the motor until I reinstall the heater.

I think my heater core has a leak?  What do you think?

Already found a replacement for $21.75 on eBay.  The heater box is huge so I should be able to retro-fit the after market core.  Stay tuned for pictures of that.

This is what the passenger side looks like with nothing in the way.

rude-a-bego

The last piece of orange carpet!  This was under the dash.  It looks like new!  Of course the rubber backing is nasty.

RIP, no, literally, RIP!

rude-a-bego

pvoth1111

When you go back together I recommend dynamat or something like it....it insulates and keeps the noise way down....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

rude-a-bego

Yup,
I actually bought a roll to do the dog house and generator housing a few months ago. 

I was at the local Tractor Supply Store and seen this:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft

It is heavy duty but talk about sound proofing, insulation and durability.  My only concern was some times rubber products smell funny.  Anybody every use these or similar product?

newrvguy

looking great so far, what did you decide to use as sound proofing under the front and dog house areas?  I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my Class A.

rude-a-bego

As pvoth mentioned, there are several products like "dynamat".

There are some knock-offs on the internet that will work and are cheaper.  However, do the research before you buy.  Some of them are no more than construction rubber for house roofs.  They may not handle the heat of the "dog house" and other may smell up your cabin when they get hot.

I purchased some a few months back but didn't archive the info in eBay.  I can't tell you if it works yet but it doesn't smell bad....   yet.

EarlJr

I'm a fan of the Jeg's brand of sound mat. I've used it in three different cars and never had any smell issues. After my first one I went and bought a counter top roller at my local hardware store. Made the other two installs much easier.

legomybago

My father uses those horse matts (he has horses!) He loves them. Lines his horse trailer floor, stall floors, pickup beds. Really durable, and very heavy. Not sure how they would work for sound? Im sure they would, but you would have to deal with the weight.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy