Starter binds, will not disengage!

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 25, 2008, 11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 5/24/2003 9:42 PM

Just replaced starter w/new rebuilt one. The starter worked fine for a few starts, now it sticks, and will not disengage. Had to rush and remove neg. battery cable.  Sticks even when key is off. Any suggestions?

Sent: 5/25/2003 12:50 AM

Yes. Sounds like the starter was probably a rebuilt, and the bendix spring has conked out. That's what makes the starter disengage. If it tested ok during the rebuild, most places leave it in.
if you can, I suggest you take it back to where you bought it and tell them the bendix spring is most likely bad. They SHOULD replace the starter.

Rat

Sent: 5/25/2003 12:51 AM

Sorry...that's redundant... Meant to say, since it's a rebuild, most likely the bendix spring has conked out...

Rat

Sent: 5/25/2003 7:50 AM

betzer,
recheck your wires....you may not have tightened the wires on the starter.   I had the same problem once.   I know how it is to have to run from the drivers seat to the battery, which is outside.   You really get a good workout.
Rick

Sent: 5/25/2003 9:52 AM

I know it is easy to get the starter bolted back up there cocked slightly, not seated exactly flat - since Ive done that twice. Make sure that isn't the situation. The angling might make the starter motors teeth bind against the flywheel ring gear teeth. If it is mounted flat though, it has to be the starter. You could try hooking it up outside on the ground, with cables to the battery, and making it spin, see if the solenoid releases under those circumstances or not. Even if it does I would take it back and get a different one. And then, before you install the replacement, try it out lying on the ground too. a sadder but wiser denison

Sent: 5/26/2003 8:53 AM

Sounds like the starter relay is sticking or the wires are shorted at the relay or at the starter solenoid. A failed ignition switch could do this too but I would check the other two first. If you are not good at electrical component trouble shooting, better find someone who is before you do anay more starter removal work......

Sent: 5/27/2003 6:15 AM

TOOO late but,,, All,, find you a starter man or rebuild your own,,, Rebuilt or remanufactured is two different things,,,, Your starter has been on your rig for 30 or so years.. the starter and the fly wheel have worked together a long time...The main mounting body of the starter fits your engine,,,Rebuilds are most likely a later casting or have been worn... If it is a slight location problem, read the info and get you a starter shim pack,,, you might even need to put blueing or lip stick on the gears to check the fit...But if its hanging it could be its too tight or too close to the flywheel... or the fly wheel has a radius or burr worn from your last starter...
James