What replacement electric fuel pump used on ONAN 6.5

Started by circleD, December 29, 2013, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

My 29 year old gen set with 72 hours on it has a bad fuel pump "SHOCKER right" and I was wanting to know if any of you have put an after market pump on one of these. I know the pressure needs to be 1.5-3 psi and if I try to rig an after market pump on there then I might have issue after issue in the long run. I'm like everyone else in this economy and not wanting to spend $100.00 on a fuel pump and use it a few times a year but then again reliability is priority. The genny was never ran from the POs and I'm stuck with a dried up pump. The genny hasn't been started in a few years so I went through the trouble shooting steps and sprayed carb cleaner into the carb and it started up. I took the pump off and opened it up and yep the OLD gas was in there along with a rotted diaphragm.  The electrical connections are gone also making a rebuild useless. I looked all over the forum and search before posting this hoping I could get an idea what pump to get.   

ibdilbert01

I put an after market on my 4.0, bought it from NAPA, FACET 60106.    Cost was about 50 bucks, and remember, some NAPAs do a AAA discount.   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

circleD

I bought a replacement on Amazon but I put the wrong direction of fittings on but will fix soon. It runs now but no power. All breakers are on inside and out but no A/C current leaving the generator. Here is my temporary set up.

Stripe

I was about to say check the breaker switches on the GEN but you have the Onan whereas I have the Kholer..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Lefty

The Facet pumps work extremely well, however be sure to double-check the operating psi of the pump you select. There are several different models avail. depending on the psi rating. I've used both the cylindrical and the square types. Both are sufficient to run a small engine like a genset, provided you get one with a compatable psi rating. The cylindrical style can theoretically be disassembled, cleaned/serviced, and reassembled if it has an issue. The square type cannot. The square type requires less space, and is usually cheaper. The cylindrical style usually is heavier built and lasts longer... but requires more mounting space, and is usually higher in price.

Regardless of style, be sure to add a in-line fuel filter at the pump inlet to prevent debris/rust from entering the pump. Also, these pumps are typically grounded thru the mounting bolts. They do not work well when mounted on painted parts... be sure to scrape the paint off where it mounts before bolting it up. If it doesn't have a separate ground wire, it grounds thru the mount.. that's an easy way to tell.

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

GONMAD

Hello All, In regard to the fuel pump, pretty much any aftermarket will do, however I recommend using a pressure regulator set between 1.5 lbs. to 5 lbs. A couple pumps put out more than some generators need. You don't want to chance collapsing the float or overcoming the needle & seat. This may not be needed but constant supply is the goal not volume or pressure. Dial a just works fine for small engines & has visible settings on the dial face. Just my two cents worth. C YA! GONMAD

circleD

The pump I bought has a pressure of 2-4 psi and that meets the specs of the generator. If that causes an issue later I'm going to move it closer to the fuel tank to help lower the psi a little. I still have to get the correct angle of fittings but just another day. Thank you all  :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

We used a Facet pump from Napa as well, and just reused the fittings off the old pump instead of the fittings that came with the Facet pump.

Than lined up everything almost perfectly, although since the Facet pump is a little wider than the stock pump, we had to rebend the metal fuel line going to the carb a little bit to line everything up.

It works great, and while we were at it we added a toggle switch to 12 volts, so we can turn just the pump on to prime it...its a long way to the fuel tank.  Also replaced all its fuel line, and added an inline clear fuel filter.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Lefty

Forgot to mention. Facet makes two versions of most of their pumps. One can pull fuel up to 12".. and the other can pull fuel up to 36". You can go to Facet/Purolator's main website and get the specific details for each model number.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php     <---This is the typical cube style pump
http://www.facet-purolator.com/posi-flo-pumps.php        <---This style is a bit better quality in the cube style pump
http://www.facet-purolator.com/gold-flo.php                  <---This is the typical cylindrical style pump

These are also available as separate .pdf spec sheets by going here and selecting the .pdf of the one you want. Then you can view them offline, or print them out to take to the parts store.
http://www.facet-purolator.com/oem.php
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

RV Mech Tech

And the original Onan pumps are also self priming - some of the Napa and other after market pumps are self priming but some are not - just something to keep in mind - some generator fuel lines are long and sometimes  routed with a high spot somewhere on the way from the main fuel tank to the generator and this can cause a drain back of fuel  into the tank making it harder for a non self priming pump to pull fuel from the tank.