Stolen Generator

Started by Brave Frank, December 10, 2013, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brave Frank

Well, I just moved the RV last night from a private lot and found that somebody had pulled the generator out from its hiding spot. Broke the lock off and unscrewed the panel door. This does not appear to have been an easy thing to do....I imagine it would have been pretty heavy and quite noisy! I wondered if there is a way to track which model would have come out of my exact RV? Unfortunately I did not get any pics of the serial # on the right side. I have this fantasy of checking Craigslist and seeing it on there and showing up with the cops...or something like that. Any ideas? Or should i just kiss this goodbye?
:'(
1976 Brave D-19
Onan 2.5 2500? (and its blue)

"DO or DO NOT.......There is no TRY"

M & J

That sucks. I'd find a picture of what that model looks like, file police report with the picture then keep an eye on Craigslist AND pawnshops.
M & J

cosmic

sucks.  $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@!. I hope one of them dropped it on there foot. chances are it was someone close by and new it was in there.

Brave Frank

How much was it worth?? Think it will be hard to replace it or should I just get a smaller quiet Honda generator?

"DO or DO NOT.......There is no TRY"

Madathlon

Thats sucks, but its was either stolen by growers (Quite common around here and in OR) or by a scrapper, that onan has about $20 worth of copper alone in it.

Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

cosmic

I bought my 4k watt onan for $200 Canadian running. needed a oil pan gasket.
The Honda's are the cats bum. but very very expensive. They will get stolen way faster then a old kohler or onan.

Don't waste your money on one of those Chinese gennys. it will be broken before the season is over. that's why they go on sale for 250 bucks. (work horse it is not)

Madathlon

cosmic is right, plus you want a genny that fit in your genbay. plus the older Onan like you old 2.5 (Onan are green not blue) can be rebuilt like for ever.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

joev

hey cosmic if you find another one for that price I am in the market for one I have been looking for one around the Ottawa area and cheapest is $700 and don't know if it even works

DaveVA78Chieftain

Per page 2 of the 1976 D19 parts book (http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/1976/76wd19.pdf), you either had a Onan 2500LK or a Onan 4000BF generator.

Dave
[move][/move]

Lefty

Sorry to hear that...Unfortunately without the serial number, there is nothing you can do. The police will take a report, but even if they catch somebody with it, theres no legal way to prove it belongs to you, or even that it's stolen at all. They could just as easily say it's theirs, and it's your word against theirs. Unless somebody can say they saw a person actually stealing it (or better yet check around the area for security cameras.. even if they are across the road at another business, or if you had the serial numbers, you might could prove a person sold it to a pawn shop if you found it at one.

Afraid you will likely have to chalk this one up as long gone.  :(
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...