First Aid Kit for Dogs (pets)?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 07, 2013, 03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Tell me more about emergency K-9 medical supplies I should have!  What should we have in our kit for 2 clumsy and insatiably curious German Shepherd puppies, and one older boy who is usually reserved enough not to get hurt unless another dog attacks him?  In the desert we carry pliers with us for Trolla cactus spines...they are no joke, especially when your pup gets them in his snoot and mouth!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Mark for separating this topic!

We all pretty much know what we need for humans, but what about dogs, or even cats?

Like I said, in the desert we carry pliers, since Trolla cactus spines are evil, and if you try to use your fingers they will end up stuck just as deep in you as the pup...so you have to pull them with pliers.

I would think fur clippers would be a good idea for lacerations and whatnot.  My Wahl Peanut beard trimmer would work in a pinch.

Snake bite kit maybe?

And a good knowledge of people meds you can safely give dogs?  Dogs can have Peptobismol and Kaopectate...and Immodium if they have the runs.  Aspirin is also safe for pups, but NOT Tylenol or Ibuprofin, and Tylenol will kill a cat dead!  Benadryl is also safe for dogs for allergic reactions.

Might be a good idea to keep a "cone of shame" Elizebethan collar on hand in your dog's size if your dog won't leave a wound alone until you can seek veterinary attention.

Any other pet specific ideas out there anyone?

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Madathlon

Records, I keep a insane medical records for not just me and my wife and son but also for our dogs.

As we change locations I also check out the local vets.

As to what we keep in had. I have an advance field med kit. Everything from handy wipes to a suture kits.

Anything that can save a humans life can also save your dog (And cats). one thing you want to keep on hand also is relaxants for your pets. they can not tell you what hurts and can panic when hurt. a simple shot (Or pill) can make a hard to patch up wound a much easier and effective treatment, (Like splinting a broken bone to easy stitch (Super glue))

But as you treat your best friend have your better half call a emergency veterinary hospital close by.

And pet medical insurance is very cheap.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

tiinytina

Add a can of pureed pumpkin (not pie filling with flavor) to your pantry... puree'd pumpkin is doggie malox.. tbs am/pm soothes upset tummies and digestive tracts 1 Tbs a couple times a day...  activated charcoal as well can help....hydrogen peroxide useful if you think they ate mouse bait or other harmfull things that are better up and out than down and through.. 2Tbs is enough (Rufus ate 4lb of chocolate chips... it was not pretty but at least we found out he does not have the fatal gene)....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

All great advice!  If you have the knowhow, vodka delivered in an IV can save your pup if they drink antifreeze...and knowing where the nearest good vet is at any time is critical.

Keep the ideas coming!  Great stuff!

Kev