1981 Southwind weight, anyone know?

Started by mhtwin987, October 29, 2013, 10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhtwin987

I have an '81 Southwind Class A motorhome.  26' long.  Wondering if anyone has the same or similar coach and might know the approximate weight.  I have 10,000 lbs listed on the title and regis but not sure if that is correct.  Seems to me that it should weigh more than 10,000 but maybe it really does and I'm just off track.  I am going to buy a jack so I can change tires, etc, so need the weight of course to find the correct jack.  Any help is appreciated.  If someone has 411 on getting it weighed please pass it on.  Don't know the process so any info will be great.  Thanks.

ClydesdaleKevin

There should be a plaque somewhere on the coach with the VIN number as well as the gross vehicle weight.

In any case, do yourself a favor and get a 10 ton or even a 20 ton bottle jack.  You can't go wrong with one of those.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

thisoldhippy

Ever change a tire on one of these? I did! Better to spend the money on AAA and get the one that covers rv's !!  :D :)   Just saying!!

Oz

A good idea would be roll her over a weigh station.  Google them and you'll find the nearest one... of course, if you live 200 miles in the middle of nowhere, that might not be so feasible.

As said above, go with the 20 ton jacks.  I'm a firm believer in overkill when anything regarding safety is involved.

The weight on your title and registration (which should match the VIN data plate) is your weigh class and your RV should fall in close to it.  A 10,000 lb class is generally a 23' - 25' RV.  Yours may weigh-in closer to 12,000.

Best bet is to hit the scales, if you can.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

M & J

Our 1987 27' aluminum framed Allegro is a bit over 12,000 lbs gvw.

A 3 ton jack will lift one wheel at a time. Spend your money on 5 ton or better jack stands once the jack does the lifting.
M & J

mhtwin987

Thanks for all the responses.  From all that I could find, I believe it weighs between 10K - 14K.   I bought a 20 ton bottle jack.  I will be taking a trip down I 95 in a couple weeks and will stop at one of the CAT scales on the way.  If you have a smart phone, there is a CAT scale app which tells you where they're located. 

Thanks again all.
:)ThmbUp

Oz

That's right!  Good reminder to us about the phone app!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mhtwin987

So on a recent trip to Roanoke Rapids NC to camp with my parents, I stopped at a Cat scale and had the rv weighed.  11,120 lbs.  Thanks again to everyone who responded.