New Battery Still Dead - '89 Winnebago Chieftain

Started by fotojunkie, October 27, 2013, 05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fotojunkie

We bought this RV and it has been an 'adventure' to say the least.

The latest installment of our RV adventures involves what we suppose to be battery issues.  I will give you the highlights. 

• RV will not start
  • Jump off RV - it starts right up
  • Battery will not hold charge - shut down RV and it ain't startin' back up till you jump it off again
  • Bought new battery - RV still will not start
My husband checked the connections, said they are good. The horn won't even blow!

Any clues? This is getting frustrating. First our fridge and bathroom light randomly stopped working, the microwave comes on when it wants to, now this. I am almost scared to ask 'what's next?'  i??

Mr. T

I once had a problem similar to yours.  The fix was the cleaning of the starter solenoid connections.  The jump from a running vehicle pushes enough amps to cause the corroded contacts to arch and allow the starter to do its thing.  If I am right, you might want to consider replacing the solenoid, depending on how burned the post might be.  Good luck to you.

Don T.

LJ-TJ

Process of limitation. The first thing I'd do is take my volt meter and make sure the battery has a full charge. If that checks I'd clean the cable ends to make sure I'm getting power to the cable right at the battery. If that checks I'd then follow the cable back to the Starter Relay switch. Take your test light and check to make sure your getting power to your Starter Relay Switch. If your getting power to your Starter Relay Switch the follow the cable to your Starter. Don't know if this will fix it or not. Make sure you clean all your grounding wires to make sure your getting a good ground.

MotorPro

fotojunkie

You guys are awesome! I am going to go home and try these things. Please, please let something work! I love this old boat, but she seems to have some attitude problems that we need to work out.
Just look for me - I'll be posting some other stuff soon.

Oz

Now that's the vintage RV spirit!  Whatever you run into, these folks are here to see you come out on the winning side.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bluebird

Remove the ground cable and use a wire wheel to clean the frame and the block. There will be a ground cable on the rear of the left head to the frame. Also the ground cable from the battery to the frame on some coachs, to the engine block on others. Many GM starters are ruined because of the ground.

mhtwin987

My situation was similar.  I found the wires leading from the alternator to the batt and isolator were cooked, no elec getting past the melted point.  Replaced the wiring from the alt to iso and batt and everything was fixed.  I still have to replace the starting batt now since in the process of finding the problem I killed it.  No worries.  Previous owner was not electrically inclined at all and I've had to do a lot of re-wiring.