1976 Winnebago D21 Brave complete renovation - DEC 2013

Started by rude-a-bego, December 02, 2013, 10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude-a-bego

Imagine my surprise!  I just realized I have been spelling "rennovation" wrong for the past 6 months!

So, now that we have that fixed, December is already shaping up to be another busy month.
I repaired all the damage to the front ceiling.  Before I put new wood and insulation (actually recycled some), I put a piece of aluminum flashing under the damaged area; sealing it with a generous "smathering" of adhesive.  As you can see from the "support beam forest" in the pictures below, there are a few different shapes and colors in my new ceiling.  It does not matter, I plan to cover it all with a new sheet of something.  The hat channels have made the roof solid enough to stand on.
Rudy  ,':{ Ì´

rude-a-bego

I meant to post this a while back but forgot.....

This is how I keep working on my project without being the eye sore of the neighbor hood.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,8677.new.html#new

rude-a-bego

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

rude-a-bego

Today was "repair passenger quarter panel" and "rip out the instrument cluster" day.

While the adhesives were drying on the repaired quarter panel, I started on the dash.

PO really made a mess of the dash.  Crap was spliced into crap and so on.  Half the stuff was barely put back in.

I have all new instruments; I got a smoking deal on a new "old stock" set on eBay. Sooooooo, the old stuff had to go.  As you can see, I labeled everything.

Guess what fits in the middle console?  Yup, my iPad will fit in there perfectly!  No need for a stereo when you can have an iPad docking station.

Party On!

legomybago

Thats dirt licious!! Great ipad idea, I would like to do that too. First, I need to repair my 8-track player....it's got to stay also
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

I really dont like red tape. Everytime i see it under a dash i start looking for the cuts in the hands and fingers . Its like when you are working and pick up a slimy screwdriver Then notice the slime is your blood . Then you have to stop go wash off the grease and dirt to find and patch the leak ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao D:oH! :)rotflmao ain't that the truth Frank.

rude-a-bego

Today was a great day!  I have officially removed the last of the damaged ceiling. :)clap

rude-a-bego

Tomorrow I plan to clean the roof, patch the last of the holes where the luggage rack once was and tape the front seam.

If all goes well, next weekend should be roof coating weekend!  Warm days and no chance of rain in the forecast....  perrrrrfect.  My diabolical plan is coming together (insert mad scientist evil laugh).

If you have to ever remove the paneling/insulation/plywood sandwich board, you GOTTA get one of those MultiMaster or oscillating type tools.  It will make your life so much easier!
1.  ID affected area
2.  Use the round blade to cut the first layer of paneling, the insulation and score the layer of wood that is against the siding or roof.
3.  Cut sections...  I found this was easier than trying to take it all out in one big chunk
4.  After you remove the first two layers, use the "putty knife" type blade to clean off the final layer.

The damaged area will come off very easy.  However, the not damaged part is a little tougher; but no match for the oscillating tool

LJ-TJ

Man are you ever doing a sweet job of it. How did you ever find a new old stock instermint panel. :)ThmbUp

cosmic

And they said it cant be done from the inside. Great job mate. :) W%. you will be able to throw a party up on that roof now.
great job. great pics. and great documentation. :)ThmbUp

rude-a-bego

I need to clarify...   the new old stock was a complete set of VDO gauges.  I am replacing the whole dash insert with a piece of aluminum and inserting the new gauges.  Before I go final, I plan to have a design with water transfer applied.  Sorry for the confusion.

rude-a-bego

Phew!  Another kick bum day!

I got the ceiling in the back replaced today.  I went with the over build and put in 3/4" plywood with a 1/4" plywood kicker to make it a full 1" thick.  Again I used the hat channel to make it even stronger where it will bond to the existing.  You never know when a drunk friend or two will want to climb on the top to take a look see.

Good thing I had some friends over to help cause it was a work out!  Wedging a 47.75" X 84" board into a  48" X 84.25" space was not easy!  Especially when the work area is about 90" wide.  This and the front quarter panels are the only area where I added some weight by using full on plywood vice the sandwich board....  ever weight conscious.

Stay tune for pics.

LJ-TJ

• :)rotflmao Appreciate that clarification. For a minute I was green with envy. I've been looking for years for a new old stock one. Gave up and went for the gold and built a add on for my dash. Just about finished. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. You doing a fantastic job on your rig.

rude-a-bego

Froggy1936

TJ Flys a plane, Where instruments are much more important (as you cant just get out and see what happened) So he feels more comfotable with an early warning syestem , That can jangle your nerves if anyone of them goes into unusual territory But looks really good TJ. Nice Work ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.