Fuel pump outlet nut frozen.

Started by Mr. T, October 12, 2013, 10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. T

I am replacing fuel pump on a chevy p30 chasis, 474, 7.4 big block.  The 5/8 outlet tube is frozen to the pump.  I have put everything I have on the nut, without completely rounding off the fitting.  I am trying to save it to reuse.

In my younger years, I would breakout my torch and be done with it.  Now that I care if I live or die, I am thinking that would not be a good idea, what with the gas dripping and what not.

Any one know of some modern nifty tool to get the job done?  Any idea at all would be welcome.

Don T.

cncsparky

Thats a tough one, not being able to heat it up.  Lots of penetrating oil and let it sit.  Make sure you have a good quality tubing wrench, the cheap ones will round off the nut easily.  I know!
-Tom

Mr. T

Thanks.  You're right, my Kmart stuff just ain't getting it done.  Heading to Walmart right now to upgrade.  Seriously though, I am going to the auto parts to get a good tube wrench.  I have already sprayed it with Liquid Wrench.  Hopefully things will look better this afternoon.

Froggy1936

If all else fails cut the metal line and use a full union and a new piece of line flared with a new nut and fitting .or use rubber tubeing and clamps The object is geterdone Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Mr. T

A good tube wrench didn't get it done.  All but ready to cut and splice, then decided to use brunt force.  Put the lock pliers on tight, I mean really tight.  Slip on a helper bar and laid into it.  The nut broke loose and the beast pooted.  All is well with the world.  Install tomorrow.