leveling jacks don't always work

Started by kpq, October 09, 2013, 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpq

Hi I bought a 87 holiday rambler has 48000 miles on it and 68 hrs on gen.has somethings wrong with been sitting for a number of years.the leveling jacks seem to work when every they want too!they won't work then all of a sudden they do.any ideas as what could be going on on what to check?oh the system is HWH corporation model #AP-3563.looking to take it out this weekend but like I said one min. they work then they don't!Thanks KEVIN

Oz

I've noticed that the majority of electrical problems can be attributed to rusted or corroded wiring contacts, particularly grounds.

Without a wiring diagram and specifics of the system available, it can be hard to test system components like relays or solenoids.  However, we do have enough electrical gurus and experienced RVers here that at least one or more will be able to help you troubleshoot the system.

I would begin with checking whatever wiring you can find and trace and check for weak, crimped, or nearly broken wires and clean all the connections (particularly the grounds) as you can find.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

Another Kevin in the forum.  You'll be challenged to keep up with the other one.  Just reading his posts will tire you out.  But to your MH, I have the same system in my Holiday Rambler.  Sometimes it will growl and make awful noises as it pumps up the system and then the noise stops and everything works normal.  I agree with Mark that it is probably an electrical problem.  It could be at the ignition (it has to be on) or the control box.  You can take out the control box fairly easy and look at the wiring.  I imagine Dave has a diagram of it in his vast library.  If it is an 100 model, there is very little on the internet about it.  Below is a PDF about the control box.

Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

Cool another HR Imperial Owner. 

Wait, when did THAT happen? ???

Here is HWHs' contact information.  They are always super helpful! 

http://www.hwhcorp.com/custserv3.html

HWH Corporation

(On I-80, Exit 267 South)
2096 Moscow Road
Moscow, Iowa 52760

(563)724-3396 or (800)321-3494

8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central Time (M-F)

Hope this helps out a little bit.

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

kpq

Thanks guys :)clap I'm going to hope that I can get this thing going!i'e changed all fluids,spark plugs,pcv,rotor,and a hole lot of vac.hoses.It runs good and drives good just some little things like the jacks and the refrigerator works on electric (38)degrees but it won't stay lit on gas.It lights but makes noise like it is still trying to light then shuts down.hope I can get the little things fixed before I get mad and put it up for sale!
coahmanm500 thanks just looked and it looks like a 400 series!

Oz

If you would like help on the other issues, like the fridge, use the message search and post on the corresponding boards.  I'm sure you'll find or get the help you need to get it ALL together!

:) 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the forum!

Anything can be fixed with enough time and patience, although sometimes parts need to be replaced.

If you do decide to sell your rig, sell me the levelling jack system...lol!  I'll pay good money even if they aren't working!  :D

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Anything yet kpq?

I forgot to mention that on my RV I had a small problem with mine as well. Turned out my batteries were weak because my alternator was not hooked up right. When my engine is running however, or the batteries have a full charge, the leveling jacks work great..
Fredric,

kpq

I hope good news replaced both coach battery's took it out for the weekend jacks worked! :)clap Have to check and see if there getting charged now!Thanks guys.

Stripe

Great, good news. 
Keep us abreast of the situation!
Also, can you get us some pics of the HR when she's on her jacks?

Fredric
Fredric,