78 chieftan ignition will not stay in run position

Started by wreckless17, October 06, 2013, 11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wreckless17

Hi I have a 1978 Winnebago chieftan with the dodge chassis and for some reason the key will not stay in run position or like it has a new run spot is now between start and where run used to be. If I hold it in new spot it stays runnin if let the key go it shuts off

nalambright

wreckless17

ballast resistor brand new im thinking ignition switch or lock cylinder its more of a mechanical problem then an electrical. Its like the motion of the key in lock cylinder in the after the motor starts the key goes from start to run well it seems that the run position is no longer where it used to be its now half way between the start position and the old run position

LJ-TJ

This is going to sound crazy but I had that same thing happen to me on the road once and it was the coil. Don't ask me why? i?? The rig would start and a soon as I let go of the key she quit. I was about 60 miles from home and had a spare ballast resistor "new" put it on and it didn't make a difference. I had to get home so I started to fiddle with it and if I held the key in just the right spot it would keep running. I was afraid the starter would stay enguaged but it seemed to back out just enough that the starter wasn't affected. Anyway I drove home holding the key in just that posion. Once I got home I asked the lads at the local auto parts store and they said the coil. I changed it out and bingo it worked great that was the problem. I might be worth a try. Hm?

wreckless17

well im sorry i forgot to mention that if u dont release the key  it will run. Thank u guys for your responses i guess i shouldn't have left that valuable piece of info out.

ClydesdaleKevin

If your ignition switch is in the dash its easy to replace, so that is where I would start.  A new switch with new keys is cheap.  If its on the column its a lot more complicated to replace, but doable.  I'd start there first to eliminate the switch from the equation.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Hm? Don't forget to let us know how you make out and what the fix was.

legomybago

Put a test light at the + side of the coil. Play with the ignition switch positions and see when you lose power at the coil. Sounds like a bad ignition switch to me......You need power going "out" of your switch in the "run" position, of coarse if you didnt have power there....I would imagine your gauges and accesseries would'nt work either...
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

wreckless17

yes  i replaced ignition switch it was column mounted  everything works now including my gauges thanks for all your advice