Last trip for this year. Time to rest and reflect...

Started by joanfenn, September 29, 2013, 10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanfenn

We took the motorhome out to the farm this weekend.  Were planning an uneventful weekend, no stress, cool fall weather and watching the birds migrate to the south.  Didn't really turn out that way.  On our way out for the two hour drive to our daughters, a fan belt broke with a big scream and a  cloud of black smoke behind the motor home.  And now all eyes on the gauges watching to see what was going to heat up first.  It was getting dark out and we wanted to get as close as possible to the farm so if we had to stop they could come and rescue us.  Interesting, nothing is heating up ??? .  So we kept going.  Strange, the headlights weren't dimming and the motor was running cool.  Ok so lets see how far we can go before we have to stop.  We did make it to the farm with out any problems, strange.  The next morning when we were poking around we found the remnants of the belt wrapped around the AC.  So we think that the belt that broke ran the AC and alternator.  We could not get a belt to replace the one that broke where we were so to get home today, we ran a cord through the doghouse inside and plugged a battery charger in to keep her charged to run the lights and we started the generator and off we went.  When we got back home it was time to start winterizing both the motor home and trailer.  Getting cool here this time of year and it is time to pack her up for the year.  Will have to replace the belt of course,  think that the AC is seized so will probably bypass that in stead of replacing it.  So measure for a shorter belt, shampoo the rugs, do all the laundry and vacuum out the cupboards.  Pour in the pink stuff after draining the tanks, and handle any other little thing that is sure to come up before they get locked up for the winter.  Then we can sit back and dream of where we will go in the spring and what has to be done before we leave home.  Have a good winter everyone :)

Stripe

On my 454 the AC belt also turns the Power Steering. As long as I do not engage the defroster I'm good.
Have a safe and warm cold season!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

Wow... glad to hear the you made it and it was the AC belt and not the fan belt! 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

joanfenn

Yes it was a good time for us to end the camping season for this year.  We will be checking it out soon, the power steering was not affected.  So I guess we had the camping fairies on our side again.  Joan