Introduction and Question: Can't decide on Class B or C - thoughts?

Started by skodacanada, September 25, 2013, 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skodacanada

Hi,

My name is Christopher, and I live in BC Canada.

We don't have an RV, nor have we ever owned one, but for some strange reason we want one now.

We've looked at all eras of homes, but we both much prefer RVs from the 70s and early-mid 80s if only because with love the style and aesthetics inside and out (the fact we can't afford much more has nothing to do with it!).

I'm no mechanic, but I've always owned it seems something from the 70s (just sold off my 73 BMW Bavaria this summer, so now I'm 70s less...sniff...) I also maintain a small fleet of Czechoslovak rear-engined Skodas to drive about town.

I've read a lot about the pitfalls of the oldtimers (all the RV stuff is new to me), and the consensus seems to be that prior maintenance is everything, and the biggest issues are leaking/wood rot, electrical/rv gear issues, and mechanical sorting including expensive tires and big block fuel costs. Would this be fair?

We can't quite decide however between a small class C VS a long class B. Our hearts are with a small C; the small home cosy feel, room to move about (we're both tall) and true independence, BUT of course the class B is easier to store, drive, park, and it seems cheaper to run (no wood rot and less leaks). We also have a little one, so safety is a bonus (though relatively few Class Bs seem to have a forward facing bench seat for a baby seat).

My question is; we only plan on relatively short trips - Pacific North West through California maybe east to Montana/Wyoming, , and then parking and staying for a day or three here or there. It's only the 2 1/2 of us, and we can rationalize it both ways; because we aren't going for ages a Class B will be ok VS. because we aren't going for ages high fuel costs of a 454 won't hurt quite as bad, and staying in 1 spot would be more fun.

If anyone has (or had) experience with a young family and both types of smaller homes, I'd love to hear some thoughts from your personal experience.

Thanks!

Oz

I had a BMW Bavaria... many, many moons ago...

Anyway... I prefer vehicles of the 1970s as well for many of the same reasons as you and others.

My advice... if you're into retro... stay with the early 1970s.  Like, 1975 or before.  No smog stuff to deal with and much more simple to work on than the 1980s RVs.

Yes, there are trade-offs... typically, max length of the RV, convenience gadgetry (like levelling systems etc.) but these can always be added...

But, 1970's models are easier to work on.  Simpler.  Less things to go wrong and... it's my observation that 1980s models just have more issues with more things than 1970s models in general.

And, the 1970s model RVs, like the cars of that time and before... they have much more "personality".
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Dear God, you have a Skoda?!  COOL...
Why isn't class A in there somewhere??
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Young families have this habit of getting bigger; either just physical size do to age or in number.  So, I would go with a class C so you have a little expansion space.  Even a small Class A (Winnebago D20 or D22) with a 318 would work well.

Dave
[move][/move]

skodacanada

I'd be ok with a small Winnebego or such, 22 ft or shorter (about the max I have room for on my property).

What does anyone think of this one:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/rvs/4013298451.html

I'm going to see it this weekend, but had a long talk with the owner who seems both honest and knowledgeable. It looks sharp inside and out, and the amount of work done is a huge selling point (he says he did everything but the drivetrain rebuild in the last couple of years - the motor and tranny were done by the PO with receipts).

Negatives he told me: some rust on DS front fender, minor wood rot behind the two rear wheels (says all other wood really is really good) and an RV shop quoted him $250. He also added that while the PO said it didn't leak, it did, but he's sealed it all up properly incl. new vents. He also said that the roof at one point began to sag b/c of the AC. This was removed and replaced with an electric fan. I can't comment any further without seeing it, but any huge red flags? I gather leak issues are probably much more common in wet Vancouver than say California.

As for the Skoda, thanks - I have 4 now, 2 good, 1 parts, 1 project...

Stripe

That does look like a nice RV.  Leaks of any kind can sometimes be a red flag BTW.  Just depends on how long of a leak it was. And where it leaked at.
Vancouver huh? Beautiful area.  I went there years ago when I was in the Navy.  Living in Seattle now. Getting ready for trip back to NY.  Not looking forward to that. :)
I'd sy if you were closer to here, you can have the extra AC unit I have sitting in my driveway.. Lol..
Like the Skoda. Looks cool!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

That looks like a clean unit. I myself prefer class A's because of the large viewing windows out front and high seating position, fun to travel down the road in :)

Driving a class C is the same as driving a van, very driver friendly. If you dont mind jumping up into the bed....go for it. 
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

skodacanada

Thanks for the comments. I went and had a look and posted with some of my findings in a separate thread. I wouldn't bother if I wasn't serious, but there will always be another one should I pass...