Engine swap question

Started by Jakespeeds, November 22, 2013, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakespeeds

I have looked around with no real success.  Has anyone tried or completed an engine swap using the GM 8.1L V8 engine?  Hopefully using the Allison transmission as well?

Jake

pvoth1111

I would love to do this....who wants to fund it?
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Jbknight311

I have been looking at the 8.1 also. To replace the old 350 in my 77 GM.
I found complete engine only packages on Ebay for $1800 with all wiring and sensors and ECM and even the accessories. Most are guaranteed for up to 6 months.

I just have to find a shop to do the mechanical swap and I will do the electrical. Exhaust will be a issue unless I have the shop do it or get it towed to a shop to have it made.

I will see about the complete package with the Allison transmission GM used with these.
Jeff Knight
1st time RVer
Disabled and retired Veteran
USA 76-88 qualified submarines
Engineer, handyman, metal worker
1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7 with 360k miles

stanDman111

been there done that/ but not in a rv . use the 4L80e trani not the  Allison =she is a horse pwr robber=but a good trani

DaveVA78Chieftain

Think carefully about the 8.1 option.  Workhorse took over the GM P30 line in 1999 and then went to the W Series chassis all using the 8.1 engine. GM stopped producing the 8.1 engine which is why Workhorse got out of the gas RV chassis business in 2010.  Replacement 8.1 engines are getting harder to locate and will only get harder in the future.  This is why most of today's gas RV chassis' are built on a Ford F53 chassis.
[move][/move]