How do you pull 73 Indian 440 engine?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 24, 2008, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 3/11/2004 1:17 PM

I have a 1973 Indian with a 440, what's the proper way to pull the motor? Out of the front,drop thefront axle and drop it out the bottom? Or out the entrance door?

Bob Detmer

Sent: 3/11/2004 2:08 PM

I have never done it myself, but I would think it would depend on what type of facilities you have access to (engine hoist, or some sort of hydralic lift).   front approach.   I would measure real good before I attempted a through the door approach.  Wouldn't want that big brute of an engine (with tranny most likely attached) hanging around inside on a makshift hoist with no where to go.  Just the thought of moving it around inside the rig gives me the willies.

Dave

Sent: 3/11/2004 3:06 PM

The service manual gives a series of instructions for taking it out the front. A cantilever hoist is called for, or some really powerful friends. The block is about 750 pounds without the manifolds. It recommends disconnecting the tranny, which I agree with. Why try to hoist the added wt - almost 300 lbs. I would try to get the exhaust manifolds off if I could, at least the passengers side. This gives you an extra 3 or 4 inches. The service manual mentions this but leaves it up to you - since they didnt know whether you would be doing this to a winnebago or some other coachmaker product. Probably removing the engine front accessories is a good idea. And I think the oil pan and oil pickup have to come off the engine too. Personally I would remove the water pump housing and carburetor, to have the extra clearance, because I don't know how to remove the oil pickup tube. I would buy some grade 8 bolts to use in place of 2 of the intake manifold bolts, for my lifting points. Good luck and I hope you can take pictures of the evolution.
If you were going to drop it straight down you need to have the motorhome supported at about head height. Even the thought gives me the creeps. And then drop the front spring shackles and the axle itself, and have an engine support as tall as a man, that you trust to lower it down. I would leave the RV on the ground myself. 

Sent: 3/12/2004 6:45 PM

Dave,
     I agree with you, out the front seems to be the best alternative.  The thought of a Winnie 5 to 6 feet off of the ground makes me shudder.  Seems like a lot of weight to have up un the air.

Sent: 3/13/2004 10:44 AM

Yes I also agree out the nose the front end nose peice comes apart for just that reason and like dave said that is what dodge recomends Ive seen some pics in a Phot album here but don't recall who's -  Good luck - sea hag 

Sent: 3/15/2004 9:22 AM

I pulled the engine and trans. out the front together, wasn't too bad had the unit out in about 2 1/2 hours. Know anybody interested in an automatic transmission? It's bolted to a 440 and it shifts really good.

Sent: 3/15/2004 8:17 PM

You work fast! That transmission is probably the A727, one of the best ever made. Unfortunately I only need or want the version having the parking brake mounted on the end of the tranny tail-housing. I think your parking brakes are on the rear axle, right? denison