windhield crack happened because of rust?

Started by justdon57, September 11, 2013, 01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justdon57

We have about a 6 to 7inch crack in our windshield. I called the insurance company and found out it was covered. When the mobile glass person came out he told me the company had a strict rule about rust being repaied around the windshield before they would change it, that I needed to bring the RV to a body shop for repairs then they would install it. He also tol me that he thinks the crack was caused by a rust spot, anyone ever have this situation? how difficult is this to repair?

cosmic

This can happen. if the frame of the windshield has lost its structural integrity. then you basically have a piece of glass that floating loose on the top.
What can be done to fix it? First you want to get rid of the rust. Either sand blast it or use a grinder and remove it.
In order to repair it either have a new piece of steel welded in where the rust has eaten away at the frame work or use fiberglass to patch the area and let it harden.
Now the windshield can go back in and the glue (urethane ) will have something to hold the glass to.
I hope this makes sense and you understand what needs to be done so the next windshield wont crack again.

Lefty

Most glass companies won't install new glass into a frame that has rust, because theres a very good chance it will leak. And they will be liable to honor their guarantee if it leaks.. as well as opening themselves up to liability for any additional damages the leak causes.

As for the rust breaking the glass, I can see that as a possibility too. As rust forms, it grows larger and thicker. This can put pressure on the glass as it tries to push the glass outward. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to cause glass to break if that pressure is limited to a small area. Think of it like placing a small pebble on a flat table, and then centering a flat piece of glass over the top of it. Now, press down on the glass, the pebble will be the point of pressure on the glass, and it will easily break the glass. Rust can act the same way.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

DaveVA78Chieftain

This has been one of Winnebago's problem areas for later year rigs up into the 2000's.  Lots of complaints about it on the net.
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

justdon57