1979 Dodge Concord

Started by cubano222, September 05, 2013, 11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubano222

I was wanting to sell my 1979 22' motorhome because my wife doesn't trust it anymore. She's always afraid something is going to go wrong when we drive it. I have completely re done the interior, it has 6 new tires, new brakes & master cylinder. It has a Dodge 400 engine in it that has a new crank shaft, piston rod bearings, water pump, timing chain, fuel pump. I just had my mechanic rebuild the carb but he found that a valve was bad & valve push rod bent. He is now going to replace the cam shaft, any rods, & valves. He says after he does this work, the engine should run for a long time, it is a strong engine. My wife wants to sell it & get a nice pop up which will have no  mechanical issues.
Should I keep the old RV & hope I don't have any more costly expenses? I don't mind fixing small things but when it costs me $700-800
at a time, that hurts.

davecaprita

If you sell it now, haven't you just taken care of everything $$ for the next owner?  As far as worrying that something "might" break it also might "not"!  Sadly, it sounds like you've got a decision to make.  Good luck. 

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

cubano222

All the work I've done on the RV has been a labor of love. My wife does love to camp in it. We discussed the cost issue & I believe that if we go camping in it several times without any mechanical issues, she & I will gain confidence in the old gal. I have fixed just about everything on it that could go wrong. I suppose the trans could go out but has always shifted good. I have to replace the fan motor solenoid on the roof a/c. When it works, it blows cold but sometimes the fan just hums & I have a small leak somewhere around the flush valve on the toilet, when you turn it to flush, some water gets on the floor. Other than that, she's good to go.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Given the age of your rig, my guess on the AC fan motor is that the run capacitor is giving up.  Best bet is to replace all 3 caps (fan run along with compressor run and start caps).  Runs about $30 total.  Cleaning all the connections up there in the AC is also helps get some more life out of the ole girl.

Dave
[move][/move]

cubano222

Thank you, Dave. When I get it back from the mechanic, I'll definitely get on the roof, take the cover off, & see if I can find all the capacitors. Once I have them out, where can I find the replacement ones? Do I go to an a/c shop here in Nashville or can I order them on line?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Most any household AC parts supplier should have them.

Dave
[move][/move]

maxximuss

I hope you keep it. It's in better shape than ours is. Mine is very similar to your RV.