Repair roof,shelf & remove windows

Started by Froggy1936, September 04, 2013, 10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

This is a combination project that i completed a wile ago . And there seems to be some interest in how it was done . Repair rotted roof & shelf above cab Along with removal of frt window & large rear window The roof was repaired with 2 1/2 in sheets of plywood (i can place chairs on the frt 4 ft of roof for viewing or ? The shelf i rebuilt with plywood also but neglected to seal pinholes under shelf /above windshield and water worked its way in and i had to redo the shelf when i saw the mold growing (probably from made in china plywood) redid it with wolmanized and sealed with Klinz and sealed holes above windshield The frt window was replaced with a sheet of insulation board (styerfoam) and 3 sheets of aluminum ( i should have used a single piece 8 ft x 4 ft ) but that was not available at Home Depot  I now have a problem with seams between the 3 panels . there is a lot of pressure from the wind & rain along with vibration  If anyone else does this do it with a single piece of aluminum also requires removing corner trim on both sides And replaceing any rotted wood  In the rear i eliminated the r/r side glass removed large heat loss rear window & installed r/r glass in the back ( this window is designed for a flat installation) Now have a small problem with water leak as the window is now on a slope and water is channeled away from drains  All slideing windows were rebuilt with new felt and rubber as one of the first projects .  so now rear window is siliconed glass to rubber and non openable but no longer leaks the  extra space was closed same as the frt with a styerfoam panel and aluminum outside rivited seams covered with bondo  Frank Note: The roof repair was done right after i purchased the Winnie (it was not useable as purchased)  Then road tested to Texas to see if it was worth saveing (after a brief inspection of running gear ) The shelf repair was done later when i noticed that body of camper was not very well fastened to the cab Major squeeking and movement . The window removal was at same time as shelf repair, The rear window swaps were a separate project also .  i??
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Froggy1936

Froggy1936

tiinytina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Oz

I like the rear window change, it gives more useable area inside!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

I think when they design these vehicles there is no consideration for full timers or extended living in them . Windows are great for sightseeing But not necc for living quarters and they are a big heat loss area if you have ever been in a R/V in cold weather there are a lot of problems with the older models with very cold floors sweating glass freezing plumbing etc . I dont know if any have yet used double pane windows or not with the added horsepower and stronger chassis seems weight is not such a consideration A class C will just suffice for 1 or 2 max person living with all the amenitys  But i have found that if you have no fear you can do anything you want to them and keep on going .Thanks Mark for cleaning up photo Frank

Wantawinnie

Looks like you had quite a project. I am fighting all the windows in the Chieftain now too. Trying to configure a TV and electric fireplace in mine and I need more wall space or give up some seating.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

TheSportsmanDodger

in the word of tyga "ahhh" that rv has seen better days but it deserves a respectable rebuild.