AIR / SMOG Pump System Failure

Started by davecaprita, August 25, 2013, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davecaprita

Well after almost 27 years of use, the AIR tube system on our 1987 Chieftain finally failed.  Since replacements are practically non existent, we went with plan B... plug them all.  Easier said than done.  First the manifold seems to have an unusual set up with AIR tube pods cut and welded into the exhaust manifold.  Maybe this is the way it was done but we've not seen this before and the use of 7/8 by 18 flair NPT threads was a real headache.  Those NPT threads appear to be very rare birds these days.  We tried the usual suspects and they all said the same thing, "We don't carry anything with those threads and haven't for years.  Try so and so down the road."  We did and they didn't either.  We finally happened into Applied Fluid Systems of Pelham, Alabama and they took one look at the fitting I had and said "Sure, we can make that!"  They made them for us and they made them fast too.  Great people to do business with.  Posted pics in my album Newtome Chieftain22 showing the process and Applied Fluid Systems handy work.

davecaprita

Thanks for the heads up.  I think I got it right so its viewable to all club members, life members, visitors, NSA, BSA, PTA, and anyone else that enjoys looking at pictures and saying "Good lord Margaret, why would they do that?"