oil fiter for a 85/ winnebago with 454 engine

Started by ssutterfield, August 23, 2013, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssutterfield

We just obtained a 1985 Winnebago chieftan 27, the oil filter on it say AC DELCO PF1218, but I need to know if theres a newer number for that oil filter now.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Nope still good

Got to: http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Select 1985, Chevorolet, P30 van, 454, Ignition/Filters, Filters & PC

Dave

[move][/move]

MotorPro

Only fits about 90% of all Chevrolets.Gmcs,Buicks Oldsmobiles,Pontiacs,and Caddies for about 35 years

GONMAD

Hi Guy's I'm chiming in... The best filter I've been told by "Grumpy Jenkins" (Yes I knew him) is the one used on 70's till whenever C60 chevy tractor trucks with the 366 ci. engine. The filter has NO operational bypass which means ALL oil going in comes out fully filtered. We also block the bypass in the oil filter spin on adapter that the filter screws on to. The little spring valve next to the main threaded filter post. When you do this you have a FULL filtering system. You MUST watch your gauge for a 10 lb. drop in pressure, then it needs changing if not before. This is called the 2qt. filter but it actually holds approx. 1.30 qts. An AC, Purolator, Hastings are OK IF it's the extra long filter. Fram filters have very little filter media than all the rest so I don't use them.   l like the fact of K.I.S. & this is one cheap way to KNOW your oil is clean. All for now  C YA! GONMAD

DonD

I use the "2qt" myself, on most of my Chevys for many years.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

cncsparky

Wix 51061 or 51794 (2qt).  Neither has a bypass valve. Napa Gold filters are made by Wix.
-Tom

Oz

Is the bypass required or is it something that depends on the year?

What is this bypass for?  Why would they create a bypass and use unfiltered oil?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

MotorPro

Running a filter with no bypass is a great idea on a race car,bad idea on a street car. If the relief on the pump sticks or the filter plugs,the filter will split and you will have a scrap engine in a matter of seconds.

ssutterfield

Thanks for all the help, I'm new to this, but I've found this website to be very helpful. :)clap

DaveVA78Chieftain

This is heavy duty service application not a racing application.  Use the recommended stock filter in this case.  Works great and has a proven tack record. Leave the fancy stuff to those who can afford to experiment.
[move][/move]

GONMAD

The bypasses are a good safety feature in the system & SHOULD be used on a street vehicle of any type. Some people driving don't pay attention to the oil filter & don't change them like they should & when the filters get clogged it HAS to bypass the filter so as not to fry the engine. I think RVer's are a lot more savvy & keep up with the details as it is a heavy duty application & requires such attention. Chevrolet left the bypass in the block adapter & used the 2qt. filter with no bypass, on Tractor Trailers (C60) & thats what I use on everything unless there's no clearance for it. Speaking of bypasses...when servicing the oil pump remove the bypass spring & insert a Holley jet into the small end of the spring & re-install it. This slightly increases the oil pressure about 15 lbs. Not too much as to cause any trouble but more than scary stock pressure. Mine holds 39 lbs at 3000, I'm comfortable with that. Thanks for the input C YA! GONMAD

bluebird

I wouldn't use a non bypass filter in my race motors. I'd rather have non filtered oil than no oil. Now if I had Grumpy Jenkins money, that might be different, naw I'd still use a bypass filter. 

Oz

When answering questions, please try to keep the advice applicable to RV use.  Many of us are not motorheads and throwing street car or high performance applications into the discussion only adds confusion and is irrelevant to the nature of our RVs.  Especially when a sub-discussion about the issue or component in question develops pertaining to high performance use, it makes it harder to determine if you're talking about the RV or the high performance application. KISS works best.

;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cncsparky

I think there is some confusion brought on here regarding the bypass.  Your factory 454 filter has no bypass.  The bypass is built into the oil filter adapter that is bolted into the block.  Its the threaded part that the filter screws onto.  Next time your filter is off, notice the bypass piece that can be unbolted from the block.  I would leave it alone.  On my boat and race car, I have removed the bypass, however they are limited use and have higher maintenance than my street vehicles.

Here is a picture of a stock type bypass.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19299222/10002/-1

And FWIW here is a bypass eliminator.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/23775/10002/-1
-Tom