Changed fuel filters now im running rough

Started by mnoyes, August 15, 2013, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnoyes

Ijust bought a 73 brave d18  318-3 with holley 4brl....i changed out two fuel filters one before fuel pump, one after. after doing so the engine idols rough while in park and not at all when in gear, when i come to a stop i have to shift to nuetral and feather gas when shifting back into gear. i was looking for ideas on where to start my troubleshooting.....does the holley have a fuel filter built into it?...could i have plugged jets?  any suggestions would help seeing im new to the winnie world and 40yr old motors....thanks in advance

James E Vining

Sorry I am not a Holley man, Carter is my carbs, but I would possibly think maybe something got into your fuel bowls, I doubt the filters were plugged up enough to cause the carbs to be rich now.
I would bet something in the line possibly came loose and got into carb, also did you make sure to install the filters with the arrow towards the carb/Flow Direction?
Sorry I am not more help

mnoyes

i checked and double checked fuel direction and i do have that part right.....

Stripe

recheck your throttle and idle preset screws, try adjusting them while engine is running.  PO may have done similar due to bad filters and never changed them.  Also, like JEV, double check your float bowls.  They may need cleaning big time.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

mnoyes

thanks guys for the advice,,,,did what you both said and fixed the problem.....also found a vacum leak......thanks again just wanted to let you both know that your answers were very helpfull

James E Vining

Cool Glad to know i was helpful and that you got the issue solved

Stripe

You're welcome. Glad it all worked out.. :)
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28