Breathing life into dead Generator

Started by doylexl, August 10, 2013, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doylexl

I bought my winnebago a year age and like most it sat for a few years. Surprisingly the gas and tanks were very clean.

The BFA 4.0 Genset generator would start and run but didn't seem to idle very well. I pulled the plug wires one at a time and discovered it was only running on one cylinder so I removed it from the mh in about 20 minutes and pulled the cylinder head on the rear cylinder and found the exhaust valve stuck open. I sprayed it several times with rust penetrant and took a pair of vise grips and gently turned it left and right until it freed up, then put the head back on and installed it back in place and it ran like new. We drove the mh several times and each time it was harder to start especially after getting warm from ruunning a couple of hours. I could cover the top of the carb and get it to start but it would go dead. The original fuel pump had a filter in the bottom and it was clean,

I checked the power wire and had 12 volts so I bought a Mr Gasket elec fuel pump from Oreillys auto parts for $45.00 and installed it and problem solved. It starts now as soon as you push either start button. The new pump maks from 2.5 to 4 psi, they had one that was 4 to 7 psi but I felt the 2.5 to 4 would be sufficient.

Madathlon

Most likely your stuck valve is slowing coming back. When a valve sticks it due to either not enough lube or foreign matter in the valve guide. You will need to remove the valve and at have it reamed properly. You may also want to look into decarbon the engine. Are you running on Gas or propane? Also remember gens need to be run regularly to maintain them.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

bluebird

You might try a little marvel mystery oil in the crankcase. The stuff works pretty good. I loaned my portable to my boss a few years ago when we had a power outage. when I got it back he said he couldn't get it started after he ran it out of gas. Had a stuck valve, freed it up and put some marvel in it. Still working.