1977 Georgie Boy Cruise Air-Diesel Roof Repair or Replacement?

Started by scottsdale1977, August 08, 2013, 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottsdale1977

Greetings from Northern NY!

Last fall/early winter, I purchased my RV from a mechanic that had it as a project needing to be finished.  What drew me to it so much was a) it's vintage :) and b) the guy swapped out the 440 gas hog for an 89 Cummins 6BT.  He left the original 727 in there, but did swap in a Dana 70 rear.  I'm hoping the transmission will hold up for at least a little while, but I need to finish getting the thing in order before I start worrying about that.
Being so late in the season, there was no place available to store it at, so I just made a habit of religiously clearing off the snow after every storm.  Over the winter I noticed moisture in a few spots but nothing that really stood out.  This summer, though, we've gotten a ridiculous amount of rain, & I've since noticed where it has begun to leak..along the side seems in the back/front cap.  When I climbed up there at the beginning of the summer, I didn't notice any soft spots; everything seemed very solid.  I did notice some cracking in the roof coating though, so I started to scrape it off & figured I'd re-caulk/reseal it with Dicor metal RV roof coating (bought 2 gal).  Because of how often it's rained it's taken a long time just to get all the coating off.  Also, not sure what it is, but the coating that the previous owner used is shiny silver in color, but when you scrape it off it's like a black, sticky tar underneath, and then caulking underneath that.  Over the past couple weeks I've noticed that the aluminum has become flexible in the back section, over the bathroom.  When I bought it, the guy said the he had bought the RV twice.  Purchased it/fixed it up, then traded it for a boat.  He then bought it back from a lady a year or so later, at which point he decided to do the engine swap.  He said that the lady who had owned it in between most likely didn't shovel it off much during the winter, which caused a leak at the vent in the bathroom.  He said when he bought it back he patched up the affected areas.  He used bondo instead of luan around the vent.  I've heard some people say this okay?  It seems to be equally if not more strong then the luan.  He also painted some of the ceiling panels (the main areas, skipped inside the cupboards).  I've scraped off the paint in the areas where I noticed the dampness so I could see how extensive it was, & also peeled off some of the luan.  It comes off in thin layers.  So I'm guessing it's just luan/insulation/aluminum? 

So as of now, I'm trying to figure out if I can just repair/fix the affected areas or if it would be better to just replace the metal roof altogether.  I will say right off the bat that I don't have any previous carpentry experience or wood working tools, but I'd rather dive in & chip away at it then let it go to waste, especially after the swap.  & it would be nice to re-insulate the roof to increase the R factor.  I'll be sure to post some pictures to give people a better idea. 

Thanks in advance!

Mark

LJ-TJ

Stripe

Painted Ceiling panel to me is likened to when a homeowner paints a mold spot on his ceiling to hide a problem.
I'd help with that roof job, but it's going to be a bit before I get to Upstate NY meself..  Going to North Syracuse..  Are you up in the Adirondacks?  Got any Pics of the RV itself?  And or maybe of the problem spots?

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

scottsdale1977

Thanks for the replies guys! 

TJ- that stuff looks pretty intense!  & pricey, but it must be worth it.  (& I thought the $50 per gal Dicor wasn't cheap ;-)  )

Fredric, thank you for the offer.  If by chance you do get up this way & my project is still underway (which is entirely possible) I'd be more than glad to pay you to give a hand. And yes, I am in the Adirondacks, about 8 miles or so outside of Saranac Lake. 

scottsdale1977

The two pics w/ the yellow wall are in the bathroom.  (I kinda dig the yellow, actually).  And the next two are at the front cap looking up from the pull down bed. 

Stripe

Okay, Number one: God that is a NICE looking Classic you got there..  Two: Pay me??  :)rotflmao No.  I'd help cuz it's fun..

Near Saranac eh? Northeastern part of the Adirondacks, Cool.  We have a camp in the Southwestern side I believe.  Not too far from Old Forge..

Be cool to hook up and get some work done then make a test run.. :)
Fredric,

LJ-TJ

WOW!  :)ThmbUp That is one sweet looking ride. I know in these tough economic times the roof job looks expencive and as much as it pains me to say it you get what you pay for. Lauren and I felt the same way but now when it rains we sleep real well. Lauren and I have hear some guys have gotten 20 years out of this stuff but the company won't say that. Oh! I bought way way to much of the sealer. You can cut the cost by quite a bit.

scottsdale1977

Thank you!  It will look a lot better all cleaned up.  I was thinking about seeing if I could have someone apply a fresh coat of clear over it to shine it up a bit;  the aluminum siding is completely faded, color is nice, but flat. 

I was reading on their site just now, sounds like it would hold up really well.  Have you heard/seen any folks who have had it for a few years also?  I'm wondering if maybe I go the same route as others have w/ replacing the roof... new ceiling panels/insulation, then plywood covered in EPDM rubber.  Furthermore would the stuff adhere better to a fresh rubber roof?  hmm... :) 

cubano222

I also used the safe t plex stuff on my 1979 & it is amazing stuff. Well worth the money.

Oz

Engine swap?  I thought this was about roof repair or replacement?  Please stay on topic.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Lol, no, Mark, the Goergie boy already had the engine swap, 'George Boy Cruise Air-Diesel', he forgot to use the squiggelies to separate that from the roof repair or replacement question..  :)
Fredric,

scottsdale1977

Quote from: Coachmanm500 on August 15, 2013, 03:38 PM
Lol, no, Mark, the Goergie boy already had the engine swap, 'George Boy Cruise Air-Diesel', he forgot to use the squiggelies to separate that from the roof repair or replacement question..  :)

Sorry to get off topic ;)

Oz

It would be very interesting to see what you posted about that swap on it's own topic.   

The problem with mixing such diverse topics?  The diesel swap would be lost in the content of the roof question and would only be found again later by accidentally stumbling on it. 

Stripe

Speaking of which, who was it that JUST got done doing that same swap?
Fredric,

Oz

It's the "sticky" on the projects board.  Different size motor.