Which tank does the generator draw gas from?

Started by ArPauly, August 05, 2013, 08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArPauly

In my 77' Winni Chieftain does my Kohler generator typically pull gas from the 'main' or 'aux' gas tank?  There's nothing in the glass bowl on the filter.  If the tank (tanks?) are low on fuel will the generator not get a spark when I try to start it?  I have a 1/2 tank of fuel in the main tank, and the aux is almost empty (I know, I know...I should have filled the tanks when I put it away for the winter, but times were a little tough and I didn't have the extra $175 to fill it).  I've done some digging around on the internet but can't seem to find what the problem is.  It ran perfectly 8 months ago, but I can't get it started this year.  I did typical maint. (cleaned the filter, changed oil, etc.) but now get no spark or fuel in the filter.  I'm semi-handy and would appreciate any direction I can get.  Thanks.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Chieftian draws from Aux tank.   All other models Main tank.

Tank must be at least 1/4 full.  Best if at least 1/3

Dave
[move][/move]

ArPauly

If there is less than 1/4 or 1/3 full does it also cause it not to generate a spark?

LJ-TJ

Like Dave said one tube is longer than the other. The shorter tube is for the generator so it won't draw all the fuel out of the fuel tank and will leave you enough fuel to switch tanks if your running down the road or make it to a gas station. Shoot put half a tank of gas in and then disconnct the hose and blow in it. If you hear bubbles the line's clear. If yeah want you can then suck the gas up hook up you hose and try and start the generator. Maybe even use a shot of quick start or either.

ArPauly

Thanks LJ-TJ and Dave, that all makes sense, but still confused a bit.  Do I have to have the dash switch on 'aux' for the fuel to flow?

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteDo I have to have the dash switch on 'aux' for the fuel to flow?

Nope.  That's just for the chassis engine fuel tank select valve.  It is normally located on the inside of the passenger side fame rail in the area of the muffler.

Dave
[move][/move]

ArPauly

Amazing...you guys are great.  Thanks for the help.  I'll fill the tanks in the next day or two...putz with it a bit...and let you know the results.  Owned this puppy for three years but never let gas levels get this low.  I see three in-line fuel filters (look like they were added on) and will replace those too.  Lots of rubber fuel lines under here with hose clamps...suspect that's 'after market' modifications by previous owners...considering replacing the rubber lines with metal tubing...any thoughts?

Froggy1936

Copper is forever The less rubber the better Double clamp all line ends . As far as fuel filters go 2 are no better than 1 when the first one fills with dirt and rust the fuel stops If its small enough to pass through 1 it will go thru the next one too ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ArPauly

Again...thanks for all the input.  Frank, I think you're right.  Guess I'll get a reel of copper tubing (may need a second mortgage) and replace all of the rubber lines.  I've got the flaring tools, cutters, etc., so sounds like a good weekend project.  Paul

bluebird

Should still get spark if it's an onan with points, they are probably bad. The older onans love their points and condensers. Might as well buy a spare set now. Mine used to go through a set every year, but I ran it a lot at the track.

I would also use steel line for gas, harder to work with but much more durable than copper.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I use steel brake lines for fuel lines.  Fittings are readily available.  Just get a standard tubing bender tool at the auto supply.  Works great.

Dave   
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

Like Bluebird said, should spark fuel or no fuel.  Thats true for points ignition, electronic ignition, or magneto ignition.  Onan has used all 3 types in various units.

Dave
[move][/move]