While going cross-country best shop that could fix up our Chevy 350?

Started by aaron7, July 22, 2013, 07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron7

Kind of a strange question but it comes out of necessity!

First off, talking about an 84 Chevy G30-based Class-C with the standard 350 powertrain.  Around here there doesn't seem to be any good old shops like there used to be for engine work.  You know, the guys who would come out covered in grease & oil from head to toe but could fix anything and tune a carb by ear.
Our motor is entirely original and has only 36k on it but has (obviously) sat. Things are gummed up a bit, the spark plugs are original  ??? , etc.

The emissions junk is also half installed; A.I.R. tubes are welded shut but the remains of the system is just hanging there.

So, I picked up a good used Edelbrock Performer intake and a matching 1406 carb but don't want to render our home immobile trying to do this myself! Haven't done an intake swap since high school haha

All the shops around here are $85 an hour and are just 'follow-the-book' new-school 'mechanics' and either won't touch it or I wouldn't want them to. Or I never could afford it!

Since we're crossing the country anyways I was wondering who everyone's go-to-guys were. I'd be a good database of old vehicle friendly mechanics for everyone too!

Just a thought. Apps on my phone like Yelp might be the best way to find the highest rated restaurant but there's no replacement for word of mouth!

LJ-TJ

D:oH! As much as I hate to say it the best guy is typing the question. Many of us have gotten Royalie screwed over the years by the modern day expert mechanic. There's a lot of talent here and the lads are real good at holding your hand an walking you through a project. The first few times it can be a little daunting. But once you get the hang of it it's not to bad. First things first is to try and get a factory manual on your rig. There out there. Hey! by the way Welcome aboard. :)ThmbUp

Oz

Once, we did try to get some sort of "A" list of shops but, first of all, we got like 3 referalls.  2nd, one person's experience can be completely different at the very same place.

The only thing I can think of is using Google maps.  I noticed that, when you search for a business or something in a certain place, if there have been any reviews written and ratings given, they are right there with the links on the page with the list of businesses in that map area.

Or, pay the $20 a year for Angie's list.  However, if we're talking about old RVs... I don't know if you'd find many ratings and evaluations specific for them.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

aaron7

Yeah, I knew it was a pretty open question!

Just didn't know if there was some guy that everyone just knew about who loved old RVs and couldn't find enough to fix  :)rotflmao