Dash Analog Temp. Indicator has no Numbers on it

Started by lngfish, July 18, 2013, 06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lngfish

Hello,

Fist off this is how the temperature indicator run:

1. If jut idling after a cold start it come up to about 25% of range on temperature indicator and stays there.

2. When driving the unit it runs up to a tad under 50% (say 45%-48%)

3. When Driving a long hill of 8 miles with twists and turns, the radiator clutch unit starts cycling the fan on and off when the indicator is at 50%.

4. The high temp buzzer witll start to "chirp" at 52% of the temperature range. (It will not sound off more than a chirp and it will sound off steady if you ground the wire).

5. After running on the road if you pull over and let engine idle to cool down the indicator drops to about 30-40% of range on indicator.

What I have done:

1. I had to change the temperature sensor a few times since the ones I got from the car parts houses were not calibrated correctly and closed to soon. I finally got on from the Manufacturer in Mass. that was "bence test certified". I'd ever accept one that was not certified from the manufacturer again in the future.

My Questions:

1. Is 50% indicator range 200 degrees F?

2. Is 100% 250 degrees F?

3. Is 0% 150 degrees F?

4. Do any of you guys have numbers on yours?

I have no idea why numbers were never put on the incicator.

Thanks

cncsparky

No numbers on the factory temp gauge?  I'd hate that!  Consider putting in an aftermarket gauge, cheap and easy.

What happens to the indicator (gauge) when you ground the sensor wire?  It should go full left.  I would think if you have a buzzer (idiot light?) there would be two different sensors, one for the gauge and one for the buzzer.  Are you sure you got the correct sensor?
-Tom

lngfish

Yes, Sensor is correct. Yes factory indcator with no numbers. Allot have on numbers. I guess if at 50% normal, well guessing.

lngfish

Yes, 2 sensors for sure. Buzzer sensor is in head on passenger side ( ground it and it buzzes loud, not a chirp), gauge sensor is on a hose near thermostat for analog. I checked with IR sensore and it is indicating correctly and running in the the 180-195 F range.