Fan Clutch Vibration

Started by Oz, July 11, 2013, 10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Well it appears to only be a fan clutch causing vibration, the next thing is do they have one in town to replace it......If not I'll bring one with me, I can probably find one here in the big city.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

You could replace it with an electric fan, maybe gain HP!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ClydesdaleKevin

Just so you know, it IS possible to replace the fan clutch without removing the radiator.  You have to cut a notch about 4 inches deep and 6 inches wide in the top edge of the fan shroud right over the fan clutch, then laying down across the air cleaner and working from above (a blanket folded thick across the air cleaner makes it a lot more comfy) , you just reach down and undo the bolts and nuts.  Don't drop 'em!  Once you undo the fan, just lean if forward against the radiator, and undo the fan clutch bolts.  Then lift the fan clutch out of the clearance opening you just made in the fan shroud.  Installation is the reverse.  I found an old plastic garbage can lid laying around and cut out a piece a bit bigger than the clearance opening and screwed it down...good as new!  You can see it in the picture below...it was a green garbage can lid...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Alaskan Itasca

AH I'll remember that if it ever goes bad again.....The shop fixed it.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

lngfish

I replaced mine on the road once. When mine failed it engaged 100% and made at horrible roar at all speeds. I did it in a car parts lots but I did not have to cut anything away from the plastic shroud. Yes a blanket is a great idea. Pays to carry some tools for sure! I got mine at a NAPA store. It was about $100. It was a HD clutch. It has been fine.

pvoth1111

I was thinking just the other day that if I took off the clutch fan I could install a fulltime electric....but I think the bonus would be I could toss the fan shroud.... that would vastly improve access to the belts and front off the engine components. there would be a bit less drag on the engine....new cars and truck mostly use electric fans these days so the technology is sound and proven.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

maxximuss

I did this to a 1967 Firebird with a 400. It worked great, however you'll want to make sure you rig in a switch on a relay to go on with ignition or a temp sender. I made the mistake one day forgetting to turn on the fan while driving when I had it on just a toggle switch. Thankfully I caught it in time. You will gain a bit more power from the engine as well, 1 less belt driven item to rob power from the engine.