Spark plug wires and heat-resistant boots?

Started by pvoth1111, July 09, 2013, 07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pvoth1111

I've had some spark plug wire issues on the big block, I have had to put a sleeve on  #8 to keep it from burning up.

I've put Napa blue wires on it and was looking at wires in my new Jegs Catalog.

These big blocks seem to be a bit harsh on wires....

What are the recommendations of the peanut gallery? 
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Oz

I got the MSD Super Conductor wires which had high temp insulationg boots and they were multi directional, which was really great, especially on the driver's side on a Dodge 440.  The fathest one back from the front on the passenger side was still tough though.  After 3 years, that boot had hardened from the heat and when I went to pull it off one time, it finally cracked in half.

However there are options available.  I'll let the gang get you up-to-speed on what they're using.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cncsparky

Are you running factory exhaust manifolds or headers?
-Tom

73dodgeTitan

Lefty

I have used spark plug insulating boots from Napa before with excellent results. had them on my '83 Chevy 383 stroker with Headman Headers for 7yrs and never burned a single boot.

They are sold in 2-packs.. you'd need 4 packs to do a V-8 if you insulate every boot. Call your local Napa Parts dealer to get current price/availability..
Napa Part # BEL 727508   (Belden Parts Line)
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

GONMAD

Hey All! Regarding heat resistant plug boots on 454 chevy with or without headers. I used to be a warehousing dealer for "JACOBS ELECTRONICS" I worked with Dr. Chris Jacobs (holder of over nine PH.d's in Electronics engineering) for a time in LA & helped develop CERAMIC plug boots. They will NOT burn out & are rebuildable. Number 8 being the worst offender. I've had mine for 6 years now & had only one give me trouble, number 8 you guessed it. I have replaced the wire with another & installed a heat boot over the part closest point to the header & no more problem. The initial cost seems like a lot but with the ceramic boots are forever & any unfinished wire set can be installed using the boots instead of the burners. Problem solved for me at least. Just my two cents C YA! GONMAD

Froggy1936

Improper punctuation. The ceramic boots only protect the wires . The advance kit retimes the distributor. The retiming lowers ex temp and improves mileage  Not the wire insulators.  I use (with my headers on my 350) asbestos boots from Advance Auto parts have not had a problem in over 20 K Mi  Now with computor controlled ign the ex should be even cooler  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

pvoth1111

I installed the ACCEL Extreme Heat 9000 BLACK Ferro-Spiral Spark Plug Wire Set....I have yet to drive em down the road at this point.

pvoth1111

Oz

The posts about recurving the distributor have been split and posted as a new topic
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca