Door Latch temporary repair: A broken Circlip

Started by Stripe, July 09, 2013, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

So, if you're like me and one day find that the door will not let you out because the circlip broke causing the square rod from falling out of the latch, you want to get this working as soon as possible, if not at least temporarily, for safety's sake.

So, without further ado, here is how I did a temporary fix to be able to use my door latch.

First I needed to procure some sort of metal that would be in a thin sheet like shape, for me it was an empty energy drink can.
Once I got my hands on the can, I immediately flattened it so that I had a folded edge to use.

Then I cut a circle from the can, and using a peticure I use as a cordless dremmel with a cone shaped stone grinder, I ground a hole in the circle, then cut a slot just a bit narrower than the circle I ground out.

Once I was satisfied the slot and circle were the right size, I slid it into place.

Then I flattened it a bit more than it is pictured here.
Once the "new clip" was in place I put the latch back on the door and tested it.  It worked very well and the latch even feels a bit more secure than with the old circlip.

Hope this helps out other who may have or have this problem..

Fredric

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28