Weight and Gas, the importance of downsizing

Started by serenitygirl64, July 02, 2013, 11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

serenitygirl64

As a full timer for 6 years I have learned that the more you have in your RV the more fuel will be consumed.  We are gas guzzling nomads.  Keeping your engine maintained is a plus but doesn't solve some of the fuel consumption problems.  6 years ago I moved into my first RV and out of a tent.  I pulled everything I had out of storage not wanting to give up anything.  I thought I could not live without any of it.  My first road trip in my new-to-me home was to East Texas from Southern California.  I was over weight and my fuel sucked out like I had a leak.  After 3 weeks of being loaded down and not being able to move around without knocking stuff over or having to dig to find one little item, I had it!!!  I went through everything and sold or gave away everything that I couldn't live without and I survived.  Some of it was hard to give up but reality was knocking hard on my head and body when things fell over.   :)

Since everyone is different what is important or needed is up  to individuals RVers.  If you are unsure about something then weigh out the possibilities like -  Do You Need It?  How often do you use the item?  If you don't use it don't take it!!!!!! If your still unsure take the items with the intention of using them and if you don't get rid of it.  Space it limited, keep that in mind when loading your belongings.  When on the road consider using bottled water or partially filling your water holding tank instead of travelling with extra water weight and keep your gray and black water tanks emptied.  I can't help but think I am forgetting something important to mention.  Hope your Rving experience is as enjoyable for you.  Happy Trails

Lefty

All vehicles, RV's included, have specific weight limits that they have been designed to safely carry. There should be a label somewhere showing the GVWR,GAWR, and GCVWR.

Breakdown:

GVWR- The maximum weight that the vehicle can weigh, including fuel,luggage,passengers,accesories,etc. This value is always less than the front & rear Axle weight ratings to allow for flexibility in loading from front to rear.
It is important to note, adding any permanent accessory to your rig (awnings, ladders, cargo bins, extra batteries, etc...) has to be factored in to the vehicles total weight.

GAWR- Specified as Front or Rear. This is the maximum amount of weight that each axle can support. It is possible to be above the maximum axle weight rating, while still below the GVWR. This can be determined by using a truck scale and weighing each axle separately. Most truck scales will do this automatically, and print out the Gross weight, as well as each axle weight.

GCVWR- This is the maximum amount of weight for the vehicle, AND any trailer or vehicle that is being towed. Several factors go in to determining the allowable combined weight rating. Tires, brakes, axle ratios, engine/transmission combination, and suspension. As well as the hitch and frame rating. To determine if you are above or below this, you must either weigh the vehicle and trailer separately, and add them together... or find a scale long enough that can weigh the whole thing at once. Most commercial truck scales can accommodate an 18 wheeler with a 53' box trailer, so these are good candidates.

Net Weight- This is what the vehicle weighs with all fluids (oil, antifreeze, battery acid, etc...), a half-tank of fuel, and no cargo, passengers, onboard water, waste water, or accessories such as awning, rooftop cargo rack or ladder, hitch, antennas, or any other optional item other than the basic vehicle itself.

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

serenitygirl64

The manufactures information reflects short term use, NOT as full time living quarters.  As a full timer I have found that we tend to need more than enough things for a weekend or a couple of months.  Living in a RV year round means you have everything you need just as if you lived in a traditional home only less and smaller.  Also Remodeled units weight has also be altered When all  else fails get your house weighed after all is ready to go.  I also want to note that when packing your RV balance the weight of your belongings so your not leaning because of over packing one side of the unit.