Fuel leak at fuel tank

Started by pvoth1111, June 28, 2013, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pvoth1111

Back at the tank. fuel pump running I got drips.....I cant really see up there as my flashlight decided it doesn't like me anymore.

How it the whole thing set up .....pumps in the tank and then what high pressure line to ??????

dropping this  will suck really bad and there is so little room under there to boot.....

Oh its coming of the right (passenger) side front corner...ish. and running down the side.

talk me off the ledge guys...

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

DaveVA78Chieftain

First thought is the rubber hoses have deteriorated.   You will most likely have to drain and drop the tank to get to them.  I believe 1990 had TBI so you will need high pressure replacement hoses.

Dave
[move][/move]

Madathlon

One thing you should try before pulling the fuel tank is find the fuel filter and remove it, have someone turn on the engine and let it crank (BUt not start) and see if you have fuel flow. if its good there you most likely have a clogged filter, if not then its a in tank issues.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

pvoth1111

M & J

I'm going with Dave on this one. Whether there's no back pressure or a clogged filter/line, the hose(s) should not leak under any circumstance. No doubt 23 year old rubber hoses and clamps need to be fully inspected and no doubt changed.
M & J

pvoth1111

she runs well not sure flow is an issue

M & J

That's what me and Dave are saying. Bet it's old hoses from the tank to the hard lines. Unfortunately unless you can squeeze your upper body on the top the tank to work, dropping it down is the only solution.
M & J

pvoth1111

how far down should I need to drop it to reach the lines.....

M & J

Unless Dave knows from his vast Winnie knowledge, it really depends on how much room there is already and how far down it needs to go for YOU need to get in there.

Skinny guy with long thin arms doesn't need as much room as someone like me with a beer belly. LOL.
M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

How far is rig dependent.  I believe the combination fuel pump/Fuel Gauge/Return line assembly is fairly centered in the middle of the tank.  Please understand GM installed the in-tank electric pump with companion fuel regulator to assist in reducing potential vapor lock issues.  Any hoses between top of tank to regulator are high pressure fuel hose.

You have main fuel line (to regulator), Generator, and vapor return lines connected to top of tank assembly.

If you break down the GM VIN number I think you will discover they placed the 1990 coach on a 1989 chassis.  TBI started with the 1990 P30 chassis which is why they did not need the in-line regulator in 1990.

Dave
[move][/move]

pvoth1111

since I have a carb...then I should just have a regular  hose with hose clamp?......there is a device that appears as though it could be a regulator it it the frame rail facing out through a hole....it appears as though no it has an "Allen Head" adjust thing facing out....the back side is toward the tank....

I also saw Tee which I assume goes to the genny...though it appears to be after the fuel pump.....which does not make sense to me...I would assume the genny would have its own tank outlet...yes?

The PO's were real awesome folks....too much bubble gum and duct tape....

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

The hoses are all attached with standard hose clamps, and the sender/pump unit they all attach to is approximately dead center of the tank.

We got lucky and on our Holiday Rambler there is a huge space over the tank, and access to the top of the tank through the rearmost wheel well.  You can actually sit up behind the tag axle wheel and reach in and do just about anything to the top of our tank.  I was able to replace the fuel pump on ours without dropping the tank...ended up being really easy on ours.

On yours, you'll more than likely have to drop the tank...if you're lucky you'll have a drain plug on the bottom of your tank.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

bluebird

Several years ago I bought a 80 Itasca that had been sitting a dealers lot for many years. I just put enough fuel in it to get home because I was going to pull the tank, to beef up the frame for towing. Good thing too, because by the time I reached home I had gas running all over the drive. No room to work on mine without pulling the tank down. I used 2 floor jacks to remove the tank. All of the rubber on it was shot. I replaced all the rubber on the coach, fuel, vacuum, brake lines, heater and radiator hoses, and belts. 

pvoth1111

Well I got it fixed....had to very carefully cut a hole in the floor to access the hose....
You can see the split in the hose, it was split all most the entire length, almost looks like someone slit in with a razor blade....though impossible.

I had to remove the floor section and then cut a hole in the floor heating duct to get to it...
I then had to make a patch for the duct then I cut down a chunk of 2x12 and used it to shore up the cut area....this allowed me to have a place to reattach the cut out sections of the floor...it can now all be removed if ever I need to get back to it....

This also explains why the genny had fuel issues....
The line is the return line from the engine it has a tee in it and that goes to the genny and back to the tank...
I thought the genny had its own pickup but in fact it pulls from the return

Oz

Sure beats dropping the tank and now you can get at it any time you need to very easily!

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

M & J

Well, I guess there's always 2 ways to skin a cat. I've dropped tanks before so that's I would have done. However, as long as you got it fixed, that's the most important thing.

Glad to know me and Dave had this one pegged. Thanks for the update.
M & J

pvoth1111

If I were at my house in Arizona, with air jacks, air tools, concrete, and help perhaps it would have got pulled.
But I'm full timing in Cape Canaveral, Florida....I have limited everything....

The tank is like 120 plus gallons....I keep it full....to pull it here would have been beyond difficult.

After I it pulled I would have hated myself for wasting tons of energy doing so.

This took less than three hours that includes two trips to the hardware store....

Pullem if ya want this worked out very well, your experience may vary.

M & J

Like I said - as long as you got it fixed, that's the most important thing.
M & J

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice job!  And the carpet will cover the floor patch.  Great thinking!  Now if anything else ever goes wrong like a bad fuel pump or sender, it'll take you no time at all to troubleshoot and fix it. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Wow! Tell me that wasn't a luck guess. D:oH! The only reason I say that is I'm getting ready to do mine but I keep chickening out. :)rotflmao

ClydesdaleKevin

Careful measurements and a fair amount of luck...lol!  Shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you measure everything very carefully.

Wish I had remembered this thread when I was troubleshooting my genny fuel delivery problem!  My return rubber hose was shot, as was the rubber hose going from the tee to the genny...with no fuel filter in between...and the plastic tee was cracked, which eventually caused the electric fuel pump on the genny to die.  All fixed now, but would have been easier if only I remembered this thread!  Stupid absentmindedness...ummm...what was I saying again?

Kev