Attachments

Started by Oz, June 27, 2013, 01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Unfortunately, I must reduce the allowed attachement sizes.  150kb per photo and 4 max per individual post.  Since I made the limits larger in order to accomodate a few high quality schematics, I have spent the vast majority of my time re-sizing or moving photos to photobucket and embedding them myself, or resiziing them and re-attaching them because the photos are being uploaded at sizes of 1, 2 and even 3 megabytes - - - each.

We are on a paid-for server and I decided to make the jump to increase what we have in available space to 3 times what is was.  But... when photos are being uploaded constantly at the sizes they are... it's chewing up the space and bandwith at such an incredible rate that I can't keep up with it.

So, if you are posting files which are large and they get rejected, the solution is simple:  Either set your camera at "normal" - which is 640x480 pixels or re-size them using your computer.  Or, upload them to a photobucket account and embed them in your posts.  I wanted to be able to allow everyone to share more pictures by simply attaching them but, it has gotten out of control.

Okay... so you're not really computer saavy?  Let me tell you... TJ is the first one who will admit that his computer skills aren't very good at all but, even he was able to figure out how to make his attachments sized down to far less than 100kb each.  Which is what they should be.  And, that's not a shot at TJ at all.  It's a bravo!  So, if he can do it, anyone can.  I'm sure he'll agree.

I have spent so much time with this photo issue that I've had almost no time to work on site improvements and adding new resources and features. so, it just can't continue.  It's easier and takes much less time for each of you to resize or embed your own photos than it is for me to do all of them myself.

I sincerely thank those of you who have been using these methods as I do greatly appreciate it!

For info on re-sizing please read this topic:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7125.0.html

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Like he says, for those not Pic resize savvy?  Irfanview will be your best friend..

http://www.irfanview.com/

The site shows what it can do and how easily it can be done.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

Here's an example of what a few, short, easy steps using irfanview can do.

Download irfanview.  Go to your photos and open one using the program.

Click on "image"
- > "resize/resample"
- > in the width block, enter "500" or "640".  (the height will auto-adjust - 500 width is preferred but, 640 is better when more detail is needed)
- > click on "ok"
- > Click on "save" icon.
- > Select save format "JPEG". 
- > Slide the Quality bar in the upper right to 70.
- > Click the "save" button. 

DONE! 

Is the picture kinda dark or too light?  After the step where you change the size, click on 'image' -> Auto adjust colors.  You''ll be surprised how it can greatly improve interior photos.

- - -

Here's the results taken from recently uploaded attachment photos.  (In addtion to the size change and auto-adjust colors, I first "cropped" away unnecessary dead space around the photos' subjects)

Original picture size 3264x2448, 2.8 megabytes - almost 3 megabytes -each!

Look at the changed sizes and the resulting file sizes.  You can see the same thing the poster wanted to you to see and the file is more than 100 times smaller...  only 25 and 17 kilobytes!

If you use this method to put photos in a gallery album, you'll be able to put 10 times as many photos (or more) in it using the same amount of space -

;)

pvoth1111

Oh picking on me.....just cause I have a good camera....I see.....its ok....I'm hurt hurt :-[
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

M & J

At least he got them turned so you don't have to twist your head to look at them.  :)
M & J

Oz

Not to worry, pvoth.  There have been many examples of large file size photos and I've resized, turned, cropped, enlarged, and tweaked over a thousand  photos for best viewing and least file size here on the website.  These two were just the easiest to find since they were so recent, they needed to be rotated, and they came up first on the attachment list as the largest files so, don't feel bad about it.  It's actually a good thing because they made perfect examples to show how to do the re-size thing, how easy it is, and the good results. 

If I set my camera on best resolution, all my photos would be 2 - 3mb or higher too.  And, it's not even a "good" camera.  It only cost $79.  But, it takes excellent pictures.  Heck, I didn't know anything about a digital camera and file/pixel size until I saw that the settings showed only the number of pictures you could take if you turned the dial.... 36 pictures, 72, 144, 288.... I knew I just wanted to be able to take more pictures while traveling so, I set it at the higher number.  Later, when I downloaded them to my computer, that's when I saw the connection between the number of pictures and how that relates to quality, image size, and file size.  Set at 36, the pictures were huge in size and detail, and also file size.  At 288 or 576, the pictures were still perfectly fine to look at and small in file size too.  I like how they did that on the camera.  It made it easy.

You don't have to take lesser quality pictures.  Just use irfanview or other program and tweak them before you attach them.   ;)