Helping the dash A/C and prolonging it's life

Started by eXodus, October 27, 2014, 12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eXodus

When I got the coach the Dash A/C was non working - compressor seized up.

So I got it to a professional Truck A/C only shop (right across the street) here one of the technicians told me:
"The Dash A/C in Motorhomes are often subject to failure because they are incorrect seized. The manufacturer takes a Chassis with an A/C which is normally used to cool a two seat drivers cabin and not a whole house. The compressor works nonstop and has not the chance to cycle and to cool down. "

After spending a Fortune to get the A/C running again I was thinking about how to reduce the amount of air the A/C has to cool.

I found this idea in a blog and perfected it: Shower curtains behind the drivers area:
[smg id=6832]
[smg id=6830]

A simple tension rod for $10 and two curtains from amazon for about $15

[smg id=6831]
[smg id=6833]

It was so easy, and the A/C is working so much faster now. I live in Florida in without the curtains you can run MAX A/C and still sweating.  With the curtains closed I can turn down the the fan to minimum after a couple of minutes and it's nice and cool.

So I got the Air Volume down to about what is normally in a StepVan. If we would have more people driving then I could also mount the tension rod behind the dinette. So the Dash A/C still would have less work to do.

sasktrini

I like it!  Should work the same way for dash heating in cold climates!  Great idea!
Corey aka sasktrini

eXodus

Yes should also work with the heat, couldn't try this yet :P

What I already tried was to keep the curtains closed while camping, it also helps to keep the temperature inside the RV down. (at least while windshields is facing the sun.)
I like camping with the front facing south, so we can watch the sunset on the patio.

Lefty

Most class A's I've seen came with a curtain attached to the back edge of the pull down bunk that did exactly what you accomplished... for exactly the same reason.
The difference is, the factory curtain was not transparent.. which was actually on purpose. At night, if occupants in the rear of the RV are using lights, it can make seeing out the windshield very difficult for the driver. Same principle as trying to drive on a dark roadway at night with your dome light on in the cab.

I do know both our 1976 Chieftain, and our 1988 Georgie Boy, both had factory curtains attached to the overhead bunk.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Lefty

Look on page 148 and page 149 in this catalog. They still carry the original tracking, as well as the roller hook things the curtain attached to.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/rvcatalog/Winnebago_Catalog.pdf

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

xerofall

Quote from: Lefty on October 27, 2014, 11:36 PM
Most class A's I've seen came with a curtain attached to the back edge of the pull down bunk that did exactly what you accomplished... for exactly the same reason.
The difference is, the factory curtain was not transparent.. which was actually on purpose. At night, if occupants in the rear of the RV are using lights, it can make seeing out the windshield very difficult for the driver. Same principle as trying to drive on a dark roadway at night with your dome light on in the cab.

I do know both our 1976 Chieftain, and our 1988 Georgie Boy, both had factory curtains attached to the overhead bunk.

I still have both of mine... I was actually thinking about sewing in a clear window to do exactly what eXodus intended, lol... great minds, eh?

eXodus

I'm not planning to do a lot of night driving. We've got two horses in tow and after arriving we have to setup a horse safe campsite, which takes a while. So better do this in Daylight :P

Before I bought this Class A I visited a couple other A's and practically no one had any curtains and all had the Dash A/C not functional. I visited also some Class C - where curtains are more common and here the Dash A/C worked often times.

I did the transparent out of two reasons, they are made of vinyl and not fabric - so they are very heavy, I don't have to add some lead to the bottom to let stay them down.
Would I have chose heavy fabric it wouldn't store away this nice.

Second reason, it sticks together in middle, you know that sticky feeling which you don't like in the shower when the cold curtain is hugging you ? This is perfect to create a good seal between the two curtains.

And sometimes I look through to the inside mirror and look through the back window and be happy that my trailer is still there, because on a straight road I can not see it.

72-d24

Quote from: xerofall on October 28, 2014, 01:54 AM
I still have both of mine... I was actually thinking about sewing in a clear window to do exactly what eXodus intended, lol... great minds, eh?

Mine came with them, too, but I took them down thinking they were just for privacy when parked. I needed the roller hardware to put the curtains on the dash rail and didn't really want the cab closed off when parked, so I borrowed the rollers from these curtains.

We set off on our first big journey at 1 a.m. (I like driving when its only me on the road) with 5 people on board (3 teens); I figured out real quick what those curtains were for.  :angel:

The idea of putting a clear window in the fabric ones in similar to what I thought when I saw this; I thought that the clear vinyl attached to the center of the curtains (maybe 12 inches on either side) would provide the same effect with visibility to the back window. However, they wouldn't block the coach lights at night, and they would no longer provide the privacy factor. We like to use these curtains when over-nighting at wall-mart because they aren't as obvious as the dash curtains are.

eXodus

72D24, I know there was I time were I had also to use vacation times most efficient. An nightdriving is this sort of using most of the time.
But now I'm a student again and time is readily available. So I rather see the country as just getting to somewhere.

I've got a center bathroom, which door has double purpose and can separate the coach in half.
So if we got camping somewhere I just close this door and be in the back.

You guys could always add a not transparent shower curtain to the setup, So the light from the back would be blocked.

Rickf1985

One thing to keep in mind about the dash A/C. It is the defroster which means that the A/C part of it provide dry air to defrost and defog the windshield. Ever try to clear your windshield after getting in with wet clothing? Without A/C it just blows air and depends on evaporation using warm moist air, not the best scenario. With thd A/C you get cool dry air or in the winter warm dry air no matter how wet you are. I have an older Honda Civic that burned up the compressor and the car is just not worth the money to fix it. I cannot drive this car in the rain due to window fogging.

eXodus

I would never go without a A/C anymore.
Volvo is even listing it's A/C under safety features. Because it helps you to stay fit longer and see better.

The curtains are still a dream. You can really feel the difference after a couple of minutes if the curtains are closed or open.