Doghouse insulation

Started by eXodus, September 21, 2014, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eXodus

I like to drive with Flip-Flops I am from Florida we always wear Flip-Flops.

So I had some Issues with the Heat which was coming from the Doghouse. Really hot !!!
I ordered some Dynamat Hoodliner from Amazon for around $50 because I know they have good reputation and a good glue.

[smg id=6788]
[smg id=6789]
[smg id=6785]

It is about 32x54 inches big and after cutting it to place I had about 2 sqft left over. One of these is no direct under where my right feet is standing on the metal.

But my cat decided it is cathouse now and not a doghouse anymore :P

[smg id=6786]

So far, I'm very impressed, I've got a TBI engine which means a lot of noise from the injection system.  This is nearly gone. I can speak to the Co-driver without screaming.
The heat is so much better. I just have to get some screws do get perfectly sealed. In the moment it's just laying on there.

I would definitely recommend it. It's only an hour work and driving is so much quieter now.

acenjason

TerryH

May want to check here:
http://www.dupreeproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=6

Added benefit is the product is sold by a member here. Makes it easier as well as more likely that you can request "honest" info, installation tips, etc.
Suggestion only.

Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

cook elandan

acenjason

I have to fix the cracks in mine first. Than I want some of that stuff.

MotorPro

eXodus

Dynamat 11905 Hoodliner 32" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905-Hoodliner-Self-Adhesive-Deadener/dp/B00069QLVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411391715&sr=8-1&keywords=hoodliner

where my right food has to be near to the doghouse, I applied two layers.

Don't know if one would be also ok for the heat. but I had some small parts left from cutting.

Rickf1985

I can see an impression on the underside of my dogbox from the air cleaner so I know I have NO room for Dynamat there but I might put it everywhere else.

legomybago

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=chevy+motorhome+p30+start+relay+solenoid+pic&qs=n&form=QBIRMH&pq=chevy+motorhome+p30+start+relay+solenoid+pic&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=E7471EAE5C375A097CD4E25BE0DAFB2F62E5DCD1&selectedIndex=17

If you have this cylinoid on the top right hand side of the engine compartment mounted high, be sure to wrap it with a piece of radiator hose or something to keep it from possibly touching the dynamat a sparking a fire...

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

eXodus

Rick,
doesn't really matter the mat is pretty compressible. Get's down to probably 1/8 of an inch.
But you would have got the vibrations on the doghouse.

Have you get really an impression or it is only dirt ? I had some impressions too, but I got underneath the rig and saw that there is plenty of room, only the airflow around the part makes dirt lay on the doghouse at some points.

@Lego,

the Dynamat has HBF fire classification. Shouldn't burn down.  But thank you for the information. I don't have any solenoid near the doghouse.

Rickf1985

Yep, I have a worn mark from the air cleaner screw and the bracket for the solenoid mentioned above. I have noticed though that the rubber seal at the bottom of the dogbox is worn out which allows it to drop down further. If I could find a new seal that would bring it back up a bit and probably help it seal at the front on the firewall better.

eXodus

two more test drives and I still love it.

Got some screws and washers to get the Doghouse tightened down, and now it's really silent. No more heat coming from the doghouse.

acenjason

Do you mean you screwed the dog house to the fire wall? How will you check tranny, power steering fluids? As well as do other motor stuff? Did I misunderstand?

acenjason

Also, wondering why you are getting so much heat in the first place?. I literally drive my Winny up mountain passes and my dog house just gets slightly warm. My cat likes to lay on it. And I have never had any discomfort on my foot. I DO have shag carpet. If you don't maybe that's why I haven't had a lot of heat. However, I have had my doghouse off right after running and not noticed anything .......anyway, the reason  I bring this up is because that kind of heat seems like something that might mess with stuff.... Wouldn't want an engine fire.....

Rickf1985

Radiator heat blows hot air back over the engine and if the seal under the edge of the box is bad like mine it will get real uncomfortable real fast. If you are not getting hot air you might want to check your thermostat and make sure it is working and not stuck open. That would be real bad for the engine and can also cause overheating on a long pull believe it or not.

eXodus

Quote from: acenjason on September 26, 2014, 11:52 AM
Do you mean you screwed the dog house to the fire wall? How will you check tranny, power steering fluids? As well as do other motor stuff? Did I misunderstand?

I screwed the doghouse to the floor. There is a rubber sealant to the Dashboard.  I've got an Class A so there is technically no Firewall.

Engine Oil and transmission fluid level is checked trough the front Service hood. I can do basically everything from the front or the bottom except changing the air-filter/ Spark plugs.

legomybago

We are talking 20 years differance between these rigs and differant chassi's...some are hotter than others..just like girls W%
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

acenjason

I also have a class A. My dog house looks just like that one. It is used to get to the top of the motor through the floor of the cab. A person can get to the air cleaner and fuel system carb or injectors. The ignition system...... Lots of things. That's why I had never heard of screwing one down. And a metal wall between a cab of any vehicle and the motor is a firewall...... So fire can't come through. I'm glad your project came out good but screwing an important access point shut could be a issue later. I may not have the perfect terminology as I am new to rving; however, I am a retired truck driver and had to learn about a billion safety regulations as well as why they are regulations. If Winnebago didn't screw it shut.......... I wouldn't say something unless I was worried about safety.

eXodus

the original mounting are screws. they where just missing and the brakets where loose.

just remounted everything. you can see the brakets in the pictures.
if i have to do something i just get the ratchet out and loose the 4 screws and i can lift the doghouse. no big deal. 1 min or less.

i shouldnt have to open it since it is a injection system more often then every 5.000 miles to check the ignition and spark plugs and air filter. so probably once a year, so why not screw it down?

eXodus

So 600 miles later, I really love the insulation.

It is much more silent. It seams like the engine sound is now getting trough the dashboard instead of the doghouse. I'm going to order probably more and crawl under the coach and get more insulation on. This stuff is great.
The doghouse is cool, my feet stay cool and I'm able to communicate with the Co-driver.

moonlitcoyote

I'm glad you posted this project and also the fact that it worked well for you. I am going to do the same thing to mine in time. It gets so hot sitting in the drivers seat I  feel like I am melting when I'm driving.

Rickf1985