gas/fuel gauge doesn't work

Started by sharkfot, June 26, 2013, 03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkfot

1984 Elandan-chevy chassis--for the longest time the aux gas tank gauge on the dash would read full until the tank was about a third full-then the needle would "flick" back and forth until about a quarter tank when it would register OK and drop on down with the tank level--I was ok with this because it let me know when I needed to fill the tank/it was accurate enough!  Now it is not working at all--it stays on full even through the tank is empty--I need advice on how to diagnose this--I do not want to drop the tank unless I have to--I assume the in tank sensor is the old style float/rheostat--can anyone confirm this?  Any advice is greatly appreciated--please ask questions if you need more info to help me!

Regards,

Ben III

cncsparky

A full or past full on the gauge indicates an open sensor circuit.  This could be caused by a broken sensor wire, bad tank ground, or the sensor stuck/went bad.  Difficult to diagnose without pulling the tank, unless you have an access panel above the tank somewhere. 
-Tom

Oz

Start with checking the grounds.  It seems at least 75% of electrically related problems end-up being a result of that.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Quote from: Mark Sobyak on June 26, 2013, 08:55 PM
Start with checking the grounds.

Wait, coffee can do that?!?   ???
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

If you spill it in your dash... oh yeah, it can do that!
D:oH!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca