Full timing - how long should a 42lb LP gas (propane) tank last?

Started by Madathlon, June 23, 2013, 11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

We are going full time and our RV has the small Propane tank (42 lbs).  Does anyone know how long this would last heating the RV when the temp is around say 35F?
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Oz

Heating is a huge consumption on propane.  When full-timing, in temperatures which are low for a long time, you really should look into the ceramic heaters.  We have a lot of excellent info on them here.

A single, 42 lb tank, for all general use, is good for weekending but not for full timing.  Most of the 1970's RVs had two, 30 lb tanks and then later, or as an alternative OEM set-up, single, frame mounted tanks typically held 60 - 80 lbs.

You can go a long time running the fridge on propane and depending on how often and how many people need to shower and use hot water, the water heater can burn up the propane pretty quickly too.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

pvoth1111

you can purchase a lp kit that allows you to use a separate refillable bottle....for long term "sitting" I think it the best way to go when it runs low I can exchange it or have it filled easily...next time I move the coach I will have both tanks filled but for now I just use the portable.
It also came with an extra hose that can be used to run a propane grill. I love it.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Madathlon

This is what I feared, we plan on bring a Oil Filled electric heater. I know of the Extand a Stay kits and do plan on getting one. Guess it will be sooner then later in the plans.

Thanks for the info guys
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ClydesdaleKevin

Ceramic heaters work great and don't draw all that many amps.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Madathlon

The only Ceramic heater I ever used was a tiny thing from walmart, can it was a POS... for a 26 ft RV what size and type would you suggest?
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

M & J

Wave heaters. Again, search ceramic heaters and you'll find volumes. Pictures included.
M & J

SoakedKarma

A 30 lb tank lasts me 7 to 10 days in conditions like that with 40' Coach. Nights down to 18º F, I orientate length of coach to catch full sun to help heating during the day.. Night Internal temp is kept down to 62º to conserve fuel..

As stated before Furnace will consume fuel faster than anything.. Extend A Stay is well worth the investment or if handy DIY is an option.. I save my frame mounted 100 Lb tank for emergency use and keep three 30# tanks for daily use.

DIY Extend A Stay and high pressure cook top port cobbled together from acquired parts..

I refuse to use ACME connections as they tend to leak after time from my experience..

ClydesdaleKevin

I've had great luck with the ceramic heaters from Tractor Supply.  Granted, a 20 dollar ceramic heater won't last forever, but you'll get at least a year out of it...lol!

For a 25 footer you'll only need one, right in the middle of the rig somewhere, like the dinette table.

Wave catalytic heaters are awesome, and we have one and love it...expensive though, and its pretty involved to install it. 

Extendastay setups work great...we have the 3 way setup that allows you not only to hook a BBQ grill type tank to the RV if you run out of propane, but it also has another fitting so you can run a propane appliance like a grill off your RV tank.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Our frame mounted tank lasts about 3 weeks when the night time temps are in the 40's. We purchased a spare 100lb tank for when we are sitting for extended periods of time. That way you can just take it in and get it filled instead of taking the whole rig in,then having to re-level, stabilize and hook everything up.

Madathlon

So I should Nix the Oiled filled one?

Is there a BTU suggestion for the electric Ceramic heaters?
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ClydesdaleKevin

Just the little square ones from Tractor Supply.  Not sure of the BTU rating, but they work great.  We only use one to heat our whole 35 foot rig, but Holiday Ramblers back in the day were very well insulated.  In our old 77 Itasca we had to use 2...one in the front, and one in the back...if it got really cold outside.

Kev

Madathlon

sounds like a good plan to go for then. Now where to find a decent one around here.. (Redding stores all seem to sell cheap shoot)
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Alaskan Itasca

I use an indoor safe Mr. Buddy propane heater and a 1500 watt ceramic heater in mine in the winter. I don't camp anywhere other than the front yard a few times a month with the kids in the winter, although our night time temps are usually 20 to -20. 2 winters ago it was my office for a few months since I had the in-laws staying in the guest room/office most of that winter. Electric was expensive to keep that old beast mildly warm. I picked up the mr buddy and a I have a 40 pound tank and that will last a long while when it's really cold.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep, forgot to mention the Buddy heaters.  Very efficient, but I highly recommend getting an adapter hose for it and running it off a BBQ type propane cylinder...those little green cylinders get EXPENSIVE!!!  Also, make sure you leave a window cracked open...catalytic heaters, including the Buddy, burn oxygen, although they don't produce carbon monoxide.  And if you have kids or pets make sure you put it someplace they can't reach it and it won't get knocked over.

Kev

moonlitcoyote

Madathalon, with all the dogs, I wouldnt use a catalytic heater unless you get a mr.buddy that you can put on the counter or the stove. As long as your going to be hooked up to electric then the ceramic heaters would be better, in my opinion. I only have 2 dogs and they are smaller than yours, and with the room in these chieftains its hard to get a catalytic heater wall mounted where you dont smell burnt dog every now and then.

That being said, we installed a Wave 6 catalytic heater and love it.

Madathlon

I fully agree on that one Moon, I wasnt planing on the propane heater at all.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

SoakedKarma

Quote from: moonlitcoyote on June 26, 2013, 10:01 PM
its hard to get a catalytic heater wall mounted where you dont smell burnt dog every now and then.

:)rotflmao still laughing  :)rotflmao moonlitcoyote you made my day  :)rotflmao