1976 Winnebago D21 Brave complete renovation - New drip edge, awning rail

Started by rude-a-bego, June 17, 2013, 04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude-a-bego

Saturday was a great day in the life of this project.  I had some friends over and we made some significant progress in getting "dimples" sealed up before the monsoons hit Southern Arizona.

Said significant accomplishment was putting on the new drip edge and sealing up the holes from the PO damage and the badly damaged previous drip edge.

Advise it if you have to do this:

1.  Do not attempt by yourself!  Get a friend or two to help.
2.  I took a light wire brush to the whole edge and removed all of the old silicon and dirt
3.  Clean the surface; I used windex and that took everything off nicely
4.  I used a 3" piece of Eternabond under the drip edge.  By putting the tape on the roof metal first, we pulled the lip down "snuggly" to the side metal.  This is where you need two people, one the help push the roof metal down while applying the tape.  A third person is really helpful to guide the tape and remove the backing as you go.
5.  Install the new drip edge; insure your screws go into the roof metal.  About 10 of the factory installed screws were 1/16 below the roof metal!  Thats right, they were doing nothing.
6.  Run a bead of silicon along the edge of the drip edge.  Probably overkill but it only takes a minute.
7.  Bask in a kick bum looking drip edge (see pictures)
8.  Pray that you never have to take the roof off because that Eternabond stuff is WICKED STICKY!

Special Thanks to Bob, Barry, Jason and Pat for the help!  Great job gents! 
Rudy  ,':{ Ì´

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

rude-a-bego

I need to finish rebuilding that wall.  Unfortunately work will keep me away from it for the next week.  However, I have back to back 3 day weekends coming up so I should get a lot done.

rude-a-bego