1976 Winnebago D21 Brave complete renovation - New door face

Started by rude-a-bego, June 03, 2013, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude-a-bego

The wood face of my door was "shot", the inside bottom wood was rotted and half the screws were stripped.  Since I had the whole thing off to redo the side, I took the time to replace the inside wood with FRP (Fiberglass reinforced panels).  FRP is a little heavier than the luan wood that was originally used and costs twice as much.  However, it is super durable, will never rot, easy to clean and impervious to water damage.  Since I have to rebuild the walls, I plan to use FRP throughout the cabin and add wood accent trim. 

Before::::

After...

Rudy  ,':{ Ì´

M & J

M & J

rude-a-bego

That has only happened on this post.  No matter what I try, they keep posting sideways; Even if I rotate them...  Mark, any suggestions other than "turn the camera sideways before I take a picture"  :D

If you click on the picture, it displays correctly.

M & J

M & J

Mytdawg

Hey, that looks familiar!

Rotted out wood in door and everything... 

I think I like that FRP stuff.  Probably should wear a mask when cutting it I'd guess.  Don't want to be inhaling fiberglass.  I had the deck on my house built with that recycled plastic decking material.  I got mocked for the price, heard a lot of "you could build a deck twice the size with wood" etc.  These people must enjoy scraping and painting/staining decks every year.  I'd rather eat broken glass personally.  I'll pay for the maintenance free stuff.  All the decks on my street face south and all but mine need yearly maintenance.  Forget that, I'm too lazy for all that.   N:(

The door looks great.   :)ThmbUp

rude-a-bego

Mytdawg

I've had to clean some captain's chairs that the yard dogs had pulled for my vans.  They were perfect when I picked them out but when I picked them up they were covered with greasy hand prints with no apparent regard for damage.  Because of liability there aren't many local yards that let you pull anymore.  So you get parts handled by the missing link, apparently.

Simple Green is the best thing ever.  I even diluted it first, scrubbed them down and rinsed with sponge and water and they were near perfect again.

Awning looks great, I'm sure it will be enjoyed.