318 new exhaust manifold gaskets still leak?

Started by Missy-Mae, June 09, 2013, 02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy-Mae

Hi just replaced manifold gaskets on my 1970 Winnebago but have still got a slight blow has anybody ever used Rem Flex I have read hey are good ?
Cheers :-[

Stripe

When you tightened down your manifolds, did you make sure to do it evenly, and that they were tightened to torque specs?
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Froggy1936

If all else fails aluminum laminated gaskets from Mr Gasket will correct even for minor warpage Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Elandan2

I have had good luck with copper gaskets as well.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Missy-Mae

Haven't any torq specs for these so just nipped them up evenly

Missy-Mae

Will have to see what I can easily get in the UK or import some

M & J

Did you retorque after heating them up letting them cool?
M & J

Missy-Mae

No I did not retorq them that sounds like a good idea any clues on the lbs ft?

Stripe

http://boxwrench.net/specs/schrys_A.htm
It's 30ft/lbs for intake and exhaust manifold. Put some antiseize compound on the nuts and bolts when you do this as well, it will help in the long run.

Here is a link that should be helpful for you as well..

Fredric
Fredric,

rattlenbang

If they are warped a machine shop should be able to flatten them out for you.

Missy-Mae

Thanks  ,that realy helps  will retorq and if anymore probs I will have a machine shop skim the manifolds ,time to put my beer down and get dirty :D

Stripe

Groovy, good luck, I do hope it works out on the easy side.  Nice looking rig too.  I love the "Hood Ornament". :)
If I ever get back to the UK again, I may just have say Hi to you and yours!

Stay Safe!

Fredric
Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

From Dodge Motor home service manual - The proper exhaust manifold torque for a motorhome chassis engine is 20ft lbs, not 30 ft lbs.

You should go through at least 3 heat, cool down, then retighten cycles for best sealing assurance.

Many times the copper header gaskets or Percy's aluminum header gaskets will solve a finicky manifold gasket sealing problem.  Both are available through the Mr. Gasket line of products.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

For more info on copper gaskets - message search.  Very good info available.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cosmic

I had a leak that I finally fixed with 2 gaskets. 4 years later. still good. and yes re tighten a few times.

Missy-Mae

Thanks for all your help much appreciated  and hey if your in the UK come round your more than welcome
L P

Oz

You can "bookmark" this topic using the button above.  Then, when you get it taken care of, you can let us know what you did and it will be very easy to find this topic!

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Missy-Mae

Hi all.. Have let it warm up and have retorqed it twice and all seems well .much better than last time out around the M25 London ring road sounding like a machine gun firing  W% Thanks again to everyone
LP

Stripe

Hahaha, the M25 was created by Satan himself.... If I never drive that again it will be too soon.
Fredric,

Missy-Mae