Sliding generator mount

Started by cncsparky, May 31, 2013, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cncsparky

My Onan Emerald is mounted on a sliding mount, but it only comes out about halfway.  Should the generator slide out completely?  The mount is a Meco-Indiana, the mounting instructions don't indicate if it is supposed to.  From the looks of the sliders, it should slide all the way out, but stops at the end of the first set of brackets.  I also don't see any sort of stop bolt like what has to be removed to get the first slide to work.  Is it just stuck after all these years?   i??
-Tom

DaveVA78Chieftain

Is this ball bearing slide style sliding mount?
[move][/move]

cncsparky

-Tom

cncsparky

Ok I got a couple of pics, hopefully this will help. 

This is as far as the gen will pull out, I assume it should go out further since servicing it would be somewhat difficult in this position. 

Here is a pic of the sliding mount, there appear to be 2 slides in the back that aren't moving.  Seized?

-Tom

LJ-TJ

Sounds silly but check under neath the slides to see if there's a locking pin/button??????? that locks once the gen starts to slide to keep it from coming out all the way by accident. Hm?

cncsparky

I did get under it and didn't see anything.  Was hoping someone on here has the same setup an can tell me if its ok or not.
-Tom

Oz

Sliding bearing rollers.  The back seems to be seized.  Rust, gunk... possibley bent but, I'd suspect rust and/or crud and/or seized/worn-out rollers.  If you can reach it with a spray can with a little straw in it like WD40, you can hose it down with that or, start with PB Blaster or other rust dissoliving/cleaning spray then see if it moves.  If so, a good cleaning and some light grease to keep it that way.

If it's still stuck, you'll have to either get used to living with it that way or pry the thing out, remove the generator and give it an overhaul (The slide that is).
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cncsparky

OK thanks. So it sounds like the mount should move out farther than it is.  I'll see what I can do to free it up some.
-Tom

LJ-TJ

In-Force Penetrating oil. I just posted a link were you can find it in the States. YOU really got to try this stuff out. I've used it the last couple of years and it really is a penetrating oil.

:)ThmbUp

Oz

His proctologist recommended it....  ???
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cncsparky

OK, after a few days soaking in WD40, it seems to have freed up some  :)ThmbUp   It now moves out where most of the Gen is out, the coil is still covered and it looks like there is still a little room for it to move.  Thanks!   :)clap
-Tom

Stripe

Nice!  Keep us appraised!

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

normthenomad

Discovered by accident. Hoppes gun cleaning gun cleaning solvent is the best that I have found for rusted/corroded fasteners.

Rickf1985

The surplus military stuff was great also, probably all the same stuff in the end. I used to have cases of it and I would give cans of it away since I got it for next to nothing and then the supply dried up overnight! Now I have like two cans and it is for my guns!