Started by stopngo, May 30, 2013, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopngo

Hitch on RV IS STAMPED  Tongue Load 300 lbs  and 3500 Max  Tow Capacity

Question...... Towed Vehicle 3362 lbs  Tow Dolly 750 lbs

Am I Legal?

Thanks in advance.  Probably wishful thinking on my part. Fingers crossed

ClydesdaleKevin

You should be fine...its the tongue weight you really need to worry about, not the pull weight, which you are close enough to.  Put your tow vehicle in the dolly, and wooden block under the dolly tongue, and the block on a scale and make sure the weight put on the tongue isn't much over the 300 lb rating.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

cosmic

I know that you can have your maximum vehicle weight can be made higher buy a mechanic so that you are legal going through a scale.
my service truck is rated at 4530 kg. on the door from the factory. I had it raised to 5000.kg by the mechanic and the ministry of transport. Now saying that they usually leave us motorhome guys alone. but put a company logo on something and bend the hell over and get ready for it.

Lefty

It may vary state to state. Here in Alabama they have permanent weigh stations located near the state lines and scattered around the state on most of the major Interstates and hiways. At the permanent ones, RV's and privately owned (non-commercial) pickups pulling trailers are not required to stop & be weighed. But they also do random mobile weigh stations here & there, mostly on backroads where they know big rigs go thru, and those seem to be more up to the State Trooper running them. I've been waved on thru those, and I've been made to stop & get weighed. In any case.. they won't care what a mechanic has done to the truck, or what upgrades you've had done.. They go by the sticker from the factory for GVWR,GCWR and GAWR.(Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Combined Weight Rating, and Gross Axle Weight Rating)  I had a C10 with full 3/4 ton suspension, plus 1,500lb coil over booster shocks, and a V-5 rated hitch.. I still got a ticket for pulling a 28' travel trailer weighing 6,700lbs... because I was well over the GAWR for the rear axle, and over the GCWR as well. Didn't matter that the rating was for the original 10 bolt and 1/2 ton suspension.. and I had a HD 12 bolt and 8,000lb rated rear springs in it, not even counting the 1,500lb booster shocks.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...