1976 Winnebago D21 Brave complete rennovation MAY 2013

Started by rude-a-bego, May 29, 2013, 02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude-a-bego

Upon further review….
At this point, I realize how easy it is to just take the wall sections off to work on them.  The screws that are holding the wall and what is left of the wood in place have either rusted off or the wood is no longer holding them in place.  Other than a bunch of staples, the screws around the door frame and the end caps screws, there is not much holding this in place.

I took it all off in a matter of 30 minutes; of course putting it back together is going to be fun.  At least I can work on it in my air conditioned garage.

Now the main problem is finding ¾ inch dense core insulation.  All of the local home improvement and building supply places have 1” and some have ½” but ¾” is rare.  Unfortunately I am stuck in a holding pattern until I get the insulation.

Rudy  ,':{ Ì´

M & J

I found 3/4 pink dense foam board at The Home Depot when I was shopping to redo the ceiling in Black Betty.
M & J

rude-a-bego

Yup... both our local Home Depot and Lowes "use to" have it in stock.  Now they can only special order it and Home Depot requires you to buy the whole pallet (32 sheets).  Lowes can't even order it even though they it is online at Lowes.com.  They have lots of polystyrene which is weak crap that will not work.

3/4 is just an odd size I guess.  Oh well... still searching....

M & J

Well, you can drive to Huntington W. Virginia and get it. In stock there.
M & J

rude-a-bego

I finally found some.... good thing I was heading to Phoenix (500 miles round trip) this weekend anyway.

Hope to get the bottom sheet re-built on Sunday.  Stay tuned. 

:)ThmbUp

rude-a-bego

I got the bottom half of this sheet finished this weekend.  However, instead of using the aluminum sheeting and luan wood paneling on the inside, like the original, I used FRP (Fiberglass reinforced panel.  It is a little heavier and kind of spendy ($32 for 4'X8').  However, it will never rot or rust.

What a huge difference!

rude-a-bego

Tips if you ever do this:

- Have a roto-zip or router handy for cutting the FRP
- Wear a mask since fiberglass dust is probably not good for you
- If you can cut it outside, you are better off; if you cut inside, have a vacuum at the ready
- Check to make sure the adhesive you use works for FRP
- Prepare to be amazed!

Now I just need to put the aluminum trim ring back on.  Stay tuned.