454 Header advice needed.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 21, 2012, 09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Not a project I'm going to do right away, but I'm seriously considering installing headers, bigger pipes, and full flow mufflers sometime during the AZ faire (Feb-March). 

So these questions go out to all of you that have a P30 with headers that you either installed yourself, had installed, or were already on your rig. 
What brands, model numbers, etc. did you go with? 
Any particular brand to avoid, and is one better than another?
Any problems with fitment or clearance issues for certain brands?
What else should I be considering here when undertaking this project?

Thanks!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

A.  Ceramic coated 
Forget the cheap cost, thin, chrome ones.  They'll glow bright red and they get so hot that they can and have melted wiring, brake lines and fuel lines and have caused engine fires.  This has happened to at least 2 CWVRV members that I can remember.  For a good set, like Thorleys, you're going to be laying out a decent amount of cash.  As with anything, you'll likely get pros and cons from people's experiences with each top brand available.  Thorley was just the first to pop in my head.

B.  Heat tape insulation is an option.  All places sell this along with headers and all of them also say that if they're used, it voids the manufacturer warranty. 

C.  Consider any necessity to move wiring and fuel lines or anything else the heat may affect.  Improvised heat shields are a big plus.  Plan out your needs for clearance, any re-routing, and any heat shielding in advance to minimize the hindering of work you may need to do in those areas later, particularly if adding heat shields.

D.  There are scores of suppliers but, as you already know, Summit and JEGS are good places to start, at least as a baseline from which to compare.

If you aren't already equipped with one, a dual exhaust with cross-over tube is a good idea.  In fact, many people believe that is sufficient in itself.  There will always be a debate on that and the use of headers in RVs which will continue until the end of the world.  Oh yes, that's right, the end of the world was yesterday according to some interpretations of the Mayan calendar.  So, it'll continue until the real end of the world... 

Many people don't believe the benefits justify the cost for headers.  This also typically applies to your weekend RVers.  With as many miles and mountains as you traverse, even small benefits turn out to big big ones over the long haul.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

rar

???  Hi.check banks they know how to make them but they dont call them headers.Not sure what they call them. they start with 5/8 thick , weld them, and then they machine them flat.  I got a set but havent installed. it was a kit that had all the parts. ill let you know what happens . the kit has headers, cold air intake,larger ex.pipes, something for the transmission. the h p is great, they say, and maybe a little milage.the kit was about 1800.00. They were good to talk to.  I am setting up to pull a trailer so the better h p is what i was looking for , but if i got better milage that would be good.good luck. Ron.....

GONMAD

Hello All,  I am on my second set of Hedman Elite Hedders. No complaints but I now the BANKS are far superior. I used braided flex unions on the collectors & solved a small cracking problem caused by a rigid coupling to the exhaust system. See my pics for a good exhaust. It requires an "X" pipe & it's worth it. I also run four low restriction mufflers & it's super quiet. possibly a bit extreme but then whats the harm? Anyway, just trying to help. C YA! GONMAD

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks guys!  This is a future project, although more than likely something to get done this year.  I'm looking for the cheapest option that will last, and still give me a gain in horse power, and possible gain in economy.  I did find out, through reading the book RV RX for Performance, that gas engines get the best fuel economy at around 38 mph (standard gearing)...go figure!  I tried it out, taking back roads and highways recently from Tombstone, AZ to Safford, AZ, and from Safford to Hot Wells Dunes, and sure enough, my MPG went from around 7mpg, to 10+ mpg!  I can definitely live with that!  I kept it to right around 40mph, coasting down the mountains, easy on the pedal, and avoided opening the secondaries whenever possible.  Sure made the trip more pleasant too...you can actually enjoy the scenery at 40!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

rushton88

Good day,  is this still on the project list for you?  I just ordered a set of Hedman ceramic coated headers that Hedman themselves recommended with thicker flanges and lower pricing for my app (same big block/chassis as yours? Summit Part #HED-69820).

I also ordered a heat shield for the starter as I am concerned about heat damage also, but can't see how it can be worse than factory manifolds with full pollution control and all the extra plumbing that comes with it. 

Do you still have the emission control on your engine?   I'll let you know how it works in a couple weeks when I pull the air pumps and other emission control and install the pipes. I pull a boat and am looking for more power too and am considering upgrading the cam and intake also - any member feedback on that topic? Unfortunately I take 2 years to plan my projects too.  We'll talk later.

Froggy1936

Hi my 350 had a problem w hot starts (stop for fuel etc no crank) A smack on the solinoid wile trying would overcome it A extra solinoid did not help . When i took off the original manifolds and installed headers problem went away there is a lot more air circulation and heat dissapation with headers !! On my new 1995 engine it has the small diameter starter also wich would probably help the original problem with stock exaust ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

rar

Hi all , well i finely put on my banks power kit. 454 carb. the kit was headers, new pipes, muffler, shift springs, cold air intake . well it made a huge power increase  . the motor only had 40.000 miles on it . but i rigged it up to pull a trailer with a jeep on it. it did great . i could hold at least 30 mph in 2nd gear all the time up hills . im glad i did it . i think the milage is better but i need to drive it without the trailer to comparewith before. the kit was easy enough to install.