Garage door height to fit Winnie inside?

Started by AC-Craig, November 09, 2008, 06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC-Craig

Sent: 12/1/2003 4:57 PM

I am planning to build a new shop and would like doors high enough to get the Winnie inside. If I put an AC unit on it in the future, how much height would that add to my rig? My 69 D22 is currently 9' to the roof deck. Craig 

denisondc

Sent: 12/1/2003 6:42 PM

I just measured my coleman roof a.c. to be 13 inches above the roof level. Its the 13500 btu size. This agrees with the dimensions on www.campingworld.com. My roof level seems to be 9 ft 2 inches above ground. Maybe my Tornel 750-17 tires are a little bigger than what my rig -72 D22 M400- came with. I assume that my RV would sit about an inch higher if it had new springs. The 1974 winnebago service manual lists the brave, indian and chieftains being 9 ft 6 inches high, but that would include the refrigerator chimney vent, which sticks uup about 6 inches above the roof level. When I build a garage I want to be able to reroof the winny with about a 4 inch crown. So my lintels would have to be 10 feet 11 inches high. denison

Daved27c

Sent: 12/1/2003 10:38 PM

Craig,
I would recommend 12 foot doors. My winne is about 11 feet tall, so 12 foot doors would do the trick.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 12/2/2003 6:08 AM

Just a thought.  Do you plan on doing any roof work in there?  You need to also think about just how high the ceiling in there need to be if you plan on doing anything on the roof.

Dave
[move][/move]

joanfenn

Just a thought, but, wouldn't you build it as high as you can now and then wouldn't have to redo it in the future.  You don't have to have the doors fully open to drive in and out. Hm?