Jacking techniques

Started by talon59, May 16, 2013, 02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talon59

Hello all, I am need of some info pertaining to the proper way of jacking up the front of my superchief so as to replace the air bags. I recently replaced the windshields at which time the tech told me my wind shield frame was compromised due to rust. I'm certain that if i'm not very careful i'll be needing window mans services again to the tune of a couple k $.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

bluebird

BOY, are you in for a treat!! :D :D  I ran mine up on some steel ramps to do them. Do a search on here, there should be a few topics on the subject. Just a little tip, I used a sawsall with a long blade to remove the old ones. Just be careful, so you don't  get into the springs.  I also soaked  mine in hot water to soften them up, then used Dawn liquid to make them slip up thru that little hole.

talon59

i've seen where an a/c vacuator pump has been used to shrink the bags down. I also have a couple of "young bucks" who will be doing the heavy lifting. My only real concern is getting the old girl high enough to not brake my helpers up in the process. How heavy duty must these ramps be to effect this operation? I never even considered ramps. Duh, I guess that's why i was a brick layer :)clap

Oz

I made a set of drive-up ramps using 2x6" wood which would raise the front by 6".  I just cut each piece a few inches shorter than the previous one, creating a stair-step effect and each one was also completely solid then.

You can use a 20 ton jack to lift each corner but you'd definitely want to get a couple of 10 or 20 ton jack stands to use as the primary weight holders and keep the jack there as a secondary support while working on each corner. 

I had gotten my jack and stands at Wal-Mart.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

The GVW on my 27ft rig is 12,000 (6 tons).  Since I am nervous about being under the rig while using a bottle jack, I have a 3 1/2 ton floor jack from Pep Boys I use.  Since 2/3 of the weight is on the rear, thats the smallest size jack I would use to lift a single rear corner (approximately 2 ton lift).  Most places only carry 3 ton jack stands with some like Pep Boys that carry 6 ton jack stands.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

I stand corrected.  I had a 2 ton jack and 6 ton stands.  Somehow, I got confused jacking up an RV with jacking up a tank...

D:oH!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

As long as you jack it up useing only the frame or the suspension parts (do not try lifting the body only) You should not apply any stress that would not be encounterd wile driving , Driving up on ramps is no diffeent than entering a fueling station ! If you jack it up frt center then block the tires its also ok !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DonD

Dig a hole and drive over it...AKA grease pit.   :)clap Hm? W%
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Froggy1936

Cave in AKA Known as  grave !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.