Coleman Model 9223 Cleaning Ideas?

Started by James E Vining, August 07, 2013, 01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

The Coleman Forced Air Furnace is in Bad shape, It must have had a leak and Rusted a lot of the case, I have to fabricate a new (Inlet to Burner Air dam doodad) I do not know what else to call it it is in the burner cavity a Piece of I'd say 16GA bent like a L that directs the inlet (Burner) Air up and to the burners instead of straight in.
I think it might be better if I post Pics.
I want some Ideas on what I can Spray "Super Clean" on and hose off then blow dry with compressed air and what parts I should not or if this is even a feasible Idea without ruing something.
Obviously I am not going to soak the Main Circuit board ( ON Off Switch 12V in Thermostat board and I  will have to oil fan motor if it gets wet cleaned but as far as the burners, coil will they be ok if washed?
Also I want to paint the burners black again just to ensure rust protection, Rustoleum High Heat 1200 F should work correct?
I will get some pics right now though of damage etc.

James E Vining

As you can see it is in Dire need of Help, I cannot afford to replace so repair is my only option.

Stripe

"Holy Rusted Metal, Batman!"
Do you have access to a sand blaster?? That is what I would use to clean the burners and other iron parts..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

James E Vining

I think my neighbor does at his Work, I will ask him he owes me a huge amount of favors anyway, fixed his car 3 times now lOL
Holy Rusted Batman Metal is correct, I about died when I pulled it apart I had no Idea and was and am so hoping I can fix her as it gets cold up in NE Washington state this time of year at night and even colder in a month or so when I plan to move it up there and building a campfire inside is not a option (or is it) maybe ill install a small wood stove in its location if I cannot repair it . HMMMMMMM  Ideas Ideas

Stripe

Eastern Washington eh? I'm in Seattle meself..  As for a fire inside, I have a ventless LP fireplace here that the previous owner thought was a NG..  She actually wondered if it would work in my RV, put it where the icemaker/small dining table is..
Fredric,

James E Vining

Cool, I am in Milwaukie, Oregon at the moment Grew Up in a Little Town called Republic, Washington and have some property Supposedly inherited to my Dad and to be mine some day so I want to go up there, gets about oh -10 to -30 F in winter so that's a No go as far as camping at least for an length of Time not to mention I would need all 6 wheels Powered with chains or tracks to possibly even get to the property in winter LOL
But its beautiful, I have pics from last year when I get Time I will add them to my album on here.
I just purchased the Winnebago Eyebrow Coach Manual from here so Man that will help with a ton of stuff.
Now I get to be upgraded to something membership wise and looking at another manual the coach one i think it would be quite helpful too.

HandyDan

I have no idea if this will work on rust, but it works on cookie sheets.  At least it doesn't cost much to give it a try:

How to clean your cookie sheets--Kitchen "Miracle" Cleaner! You put about 1/4 cup of baking soda in a small glass bowl and squirt in hydrogen peroxide until it makes a nice paste. Then you rub it on the offending dirt/stain/grease...whatever! You can usually just use your fingers...but you can also use a small sponge as well.

Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

James E Vining

Heck sounds great to me, I will try anything short of Human sacrifice to get this working.
I do have a Quart of Naval Jelly but that has to be put on when cool not in sun and then Hosered off real well and sometimes I have noticed it leaves a white residue so I am using that as last resort and on things I can easily wash afterwards.
I am curious if anyone knows what the temps internally may get to in these furnaces like the Burners themselves and the Burner Flues I think they call them?

LJ-TJ

i?? Well I had to clean mine and the best way I found was to sand blast it. Shoot a small compressor out of Harbor Freight and one of those little spay guns works great. Most guys have one in there garage.

Stripe

Harbor freight actually has a decent sized/priced sand blaster setup too. 
HandyDan, what you describe also sounds like "Barkeepers Friend", darned good stuff..  I do want to see the pics of the Hydrogen peroxide hitting the rust though.. 
Fredric,

Froggy1936

Rustolium now has a spray paint for rust That turns it back into good metal  just brush off the loose stuff and spray it Done !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Is that spray rust converter stuff  made for high heat applications?
[move][/move]

Oz

TJ - find us that topic you did with the photos when you tor yours apart and cleaned it and post the link!

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

moonlitcoyote

EarlJr

I've used the method described here: http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp several times on regular cars parts. Works fantastic!

LJ-TJ

LJ-TJ

I have a ton of pictures of taking it apart. If someone wants to send me their e-mail address I'll send them along. Or if Mark wants I can forword them to him and he can do that raz-a-ma-taz thing he does on the computer and make some kind of file or folder or something like that.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

James E Vining

I get a Ton of stuff from Harbor Freight LOL, My Polisher/Grinder, Compressor, Desiccant Air Line Dryer, I have been thinking of getting one of the Sand Blasting Units where you put the items inside and look through the window etc. I have alot of Uses for one, not to mention a good parts washer would be handy too.

Stripe

Fredric,

LJ-TJ

Oz

Quote from: LJ-TJ on August 08, 2013, 02:10 PM

• i?? I hope this is what your looking for.

Yup, that's the one.  Thanks!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca