Steering stabilizer 1979 M400 Dodge chassis

Started by maxximuss, April 28, 2013, 02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxximuss

Looking for a steering stabilizer that will bolt right up to my 1979 Class A M400 Dodge chassis. Pictures of what they look like bolted on would be great if anyone has any. If anyone has done one recently and has a kit # or product info I would appreciate that as well. Thank you in advance.

Rob.

ibdilbert01

Did a little digging around looking for pictures, not much luck.  I did find pictures on a 74 m400, bottom of page. 

http://www.etrailer.com/Anti-Sway-Bars/Roadmaster/RM-RBK8-RSSA.html
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

maxximuss

Hey thanks for the post I checked out their site. Looks like what I am after, bit pricey but will save me from driving fatigue. I'll have to see if they ship to Canada.

Oz

You can look up Monroe - Bilstein (pricey but the best) and also JC Whitney for availability and price comparison.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

maxximuss

Found a dealer of Roadmaster steering components. I have the bracket kit ordered. Going to try that first with a cheaper steering stabilizer. I do like the one they have to offer, pricey but I can see why. If the regular stabilizer is not going to cut it I'll be ordering the one they have to offer. Thanks ibdilbert01 for steering me in the right direction....so to speak.

Rob.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

That reminds me, thanks for posting this because it reminded me to get myself a new stabilizer and to make sure my steering system is not too loose..

CMM500
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ibdilbert01

I have a friend who use to work on these old rigs whom recomended safe-t-plus, but now I'm holding off to see how Rob does, his route would be cheaper.   ;)

ClydesdaleKevin

Ours has the Safe-T-Plus factory installed...its the only component in the system I didn't replace since Safe-T-Plus assured me that unless the piston was rusty and nasty they would more than likely last a hundred years.  Also, just so you know, a Safe-T-Plus is sort of a dormant steering control.  Your regular steering stabilizer does most of the work.  The Safe-T-Plus comes into play if you have front tire blowout or tie rod failure to keep the wheels under control until you can coast to a stop.  This was from the technician I talked to.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ibdilbert01

"Your regular steering stabilizer does most of the work."

You have two steering stabilizers?

DaveVA78Chieftain

P30 is coil spring frontend and does have a stabilizer rod.  The devices you guys are talking would be better rffered to as steering dampners.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep...the Nautilus has 2 steering stabilizers, or dampers.  This is a picture of the original still in place Safe-T-Plus.  Its kind of hard to see above the stabilizer bar, but its the wwhite rusty thing at the top:

And this is a picture of the new Monroe RV Gas Magnum steering stabilizer/damper:

What appears to be rust on the new stabilizer is just grease from my dirty hands.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

maxximuss

My kit is not in yet but here is a instruction sheet showing the type of kit I'll be installing less the shock with the big spring around it. I plan to try just a dampener shock in place with the bracket kit. Back when I use to have a 82 Toyota 4x4 with a straight axle front end that made a big difference on ride with big tires. Bump steer was a big problem and was fixed using one of these. Hope to get it in this week, I'll keep you posted. Link below.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/RBK8.pdf

PS: There is a reason they put dampeners on 4x4 trucks with straight axle front ends, I don't understand why they never added them on these rigs too.

maxximuss

Need a U-bolt torque spec if anyone has it for the front axle to leaf spring as I'll have to replace the u-bolt to do this. The U-bolt looks like 9/16" thickness. The bracket that came in the kit will need a longer leaf spring U-bolt going to order one tomorrow. Have a shock dampener coming now as well. Hope to have it all for the week end. I'll try to get pictures as I do this for those who want the info.

DaveVA78Chieftain

From the 78-79 service manual: 105 -155 FT lbs
Dave
[move][/move]

maxximuss

Thank you, I have the parts now. Next post will be the install with some pictures. Hope the weather holds up.

maxximuss

Well it is done! Took it for a ride and it feels much better. I'm happy with the results and can drive it mostly one arming it. However I will be ordering the shock with the return spring in the future as I think this feature will be much better. I had to order a new U-bolt that does not come with the kit to mount the bracket to the axle, also I had to order some 5/8" grade 8 washers as you can see in the pictures above I had to shim the bracket with them to fit properly(second row down, left picture). The axle has a bit of a dip in the area were the bracket has to be positioned.  Bottom left picture shows the dampener in place not tightened up at that point, had to make some minor adjustments. Generally that is all there is to it, not hard to do. Took me about 1 to 1 1/2 hours taking my time to install.

I recommend if someone is going to do this to go for the dampener with return spring that Roadmaster sells to go with the kit. 

I also left you all with a added picture of my steering joint at the box. No more pot-joint to deal with, nor play in the wheel.

Parts needed to do the job:

Roadmaster kit #RBK8  fits M300-M500 chassis  (shock ((recomended))for this kit is a #RSSA - has the spring around the dampener, will keep the wheel centered) I used a Monroe #SC2961 and shock boot #SA1997. If you use the Monroe shock option. check your over all travel from right to left for the steering dampener, mine was 7 3/4" of overall travel - going from lock to lock (full left to full right) the Monroe shock has just under 10" of overall travel extended. This option does not return the wheel to center.

1 - U-bolt 9/16 thread size square top 3" across inside diameter with over all length inside of 6" long, with 2 washers and 2 nuts. Check your U-bolt size to verify that yours will be the same. This may very with other models of motorhomes. Also had to purchase 4 extra 5/8" grade 8 washers to use as shims above and below the bracket. I found that the bracket has fairly large holes and the 9/16" washers for the u-bolt just barley covered these, another good reason to add the larger washer. This set up is for rear wheel drive applications only, as I am aware that they also made 4x4 versions of motorhomes.

Hope this helps anyone out who is looking to do a similar set up.

Thank you to those who helped me out with the added info I needed to complete the job!!!

Rob.

Stripe

Very nice, and nice shots of the finished product..
:)ThmbUp
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28