Hydraulic Leveling Jacks stopped working

Started by Stripe, May 06, 2013, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M & J

It was late last year when I last talked to him. I texted his GF and told her we all missed him, would like to hear from him and nothing yet.
M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

For reference, you can identify replacement assemblies (jacks, pump, valve stack, leveling sensor, light panel, etc.).  The issue is no real repair parts still exist at HWH.

Dave
[move][/move]

fasteddie313

Can these jacks be used to really lift the MH right off the ground or are they just to adjust leveling and stabilize a bit? Like say to change rear tires, are they strong enough to take the entire weight of the MH off of the wheels?

Even if they don't have enough stroke. Lift, jack stands, retract jacks, blocks, stroke again.. Is this something that can be done with the leveling jacks or no?

Rickf1985

I have seen it done many times, I don't know if it is a good idea. Maybe on level ground but I was listening to a couple of old timers talking at a rally I was at and they said a guy was leveling his on uneven ground and as soon as the rear tires came up the whole unit went forward ripping the jacks from the frame. Remember, the tires are the brakes. If you raise the tires off the ground on a hill then you have no way to hold it, wheel chocks will not work either since the wheels are up in the air. Again, I don't have them and this is what I heard from those that do have them. I was hoping the Pace Arrow I just got would have them since all the brochures showed them installed. Guess I got a cheapie.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Hydraulic jacks come in different sizes (e.g.: 6000, 9000, 16000, 24000) so ability depends on size, locations, and number of jacks.  They are only designed to level a MH though.  Can they be used to raise a wheel of the ground? yep  Just that they were not designed for that purpose.  Some MH's only have 3 jacks (1 front, 2 rear).   There are many manually operated systems where the operator controls jack operation based on light indications.  There are systems that are totally automatic.  So the answer in the end is, it depends.
[move][/move]

HandyDan

I've changed the wheels of my motorhome several times by jacking up with the leveling jacks.  They work quite well for this, but don't trust them with your life.  Jack stands and wheel chocks are necessary.  BTW, if you raise all four wheels off the ground, the MH will probably roll forward, but the jacks just fold up, they don't usually have any harm done to them.  Even their documentation says that. Rolling backwards is another story.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteRolling backwards is another story.

or sideways
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

The ones I was looking at did not fold, they were straight up and down. I assumed that was the setup these guys I heard were talking about since it involved a lot of damage. Then again I was looking at a much newer coach.